- Non-Conference Action Heats Up: The non-conference schedule gets into full swing with seven games on tap Dec. 5-8 around the Western Collegiate Hockey Association.
- Ferris State becomes the seventh league school to debut this season when it hosts Alabama Huntsville in the Bulldogs' 2020-21 lid-lifter on Dec. 8.
- Michigan Tech and No. 6/6 Minnesota State return to action after a week off when the two tangle in a two-game set in Houghton. Tech opened the season with a scoreless tie and a loss at Lake Superior State on Nov. 21-22. MSU is back in action after a 5-0 victory at Bemidji State on Nov. 22.
- Alabama Huntsville will visit Lake Superior State for a non-conference set on Dec. 5-6 while No. 18/RV Bowling Green will meet its second Atlantic Hockey foe of the 2020-21 campaign when it skates in a home-and-home series with Mercyhurst on Dec. 5-6.
- UAH's Bronte Named HCA Rookie of the Month: Alabama Huntsville freshman forward Tyrone Bronte took home national Rookie of the Month honors for November, the Hockey Commissioners Association announced Dec. 3. Bronte tallied a team-high three assists in the Chargers in their season-opening series at Robert Morris.
- Seventy Years of Excellence: The WCHA will begin its season-long celebration of 70 Years of Excellence next week with the announcement of its All-Decade Team and Player and Coach of the Decade for the 1950s.
- Next week's announcements will be the first in a series of decade retrospectives as the league recognizes the top players and coaches from each decade of its existence.
- Mavericks, Beavers & Falcons Hold Steady in USCHO Poll: There was no change in the rankings for Minnesota State, Bemidji State and Bowling Green in the latest USCHO.com poll released Nov. 30. The Mavericks are again No. 6 with one first place vote. Bowling Green stays at No. 18 and Bemidji State remains at No. 19 this week. Northern Michigan and Lake Superior State also received votes.
- Minnesota State is No. 6 in this week's USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll. Bowling Green, Bemidji State, Northern Michigan and Lake Superior State also received votes.
By The Numbers
- 55: Career wins by Minnesota State goaltender Dryden McKay, the most among active WCHA netminders and T-3rd for league goaltenders since 2013.
- 42: Saves by Michigan Tech's Mark Sinclair in the Huskies' season-opening series at Lake Superior State on Nov. 21-22, the most in a series by a WCHA goaltender this season.
- 22: Points by Ferris State sophomore Jake Willets in his 2019-20 debut season with the Bulldogs. FSU opens the 2020-21 season on Dec. 8.
- 11: Lake Superior State players who notched a point in the Lakers' 5-3 win over Adrian on Nov. 27.
- 4: Points on a goal and three assists by Bowling Green's Cameron Wright at Robert Morris on Dec. 1, the most in a single game in the WCHA this season.
- 3: Power play goals by Bowling Green in the Falcons' 6-3 win at Robert Morris on Dec. 1, a WCHA season high.
The Week Ahead
- Alabama Huntsville at (RV/RV) Lake Superior State: The Lakers and Chargers meet in Sault Ste. Marie for the first time since squaring off across the river in Ontario on Feb. 15, 2020.
- Mercyhurst at (18/RV) Bowling Green: Bowling Green meets Mercyhurst in a non-conference home-and-home series Saturday and Sunday. BGSU leads the all-time series, 3-0.
- (6/6) Minnesota State at Michigan Tech: Two WCHA heavyweights collide in Houghton, Mich., in a non-conference series on Sunday and Monday. Minnesota State holds a slim, 17-16-6 margin in games played at Tech.
- Alabama Huntsville at Ferris State: The Chargers wrap up their non-conference swing through Michigan with a stop in Big Rapids for a single game with Ferris State on Dec. 8. The contest will wrap up the non-conference slate for UAH and open the season for FSU.
2021 WCHA Postseason Tournament
Once again in 2021, the WCHA will crown a playoff champion at the WCHA Postseason Tournament. The winner will receive an automatic bid to the 2021 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship and the Jeff Sauer WCHA Championship Trophy, presented by Anderson's Pure Maple Syrup.