- Bowling Green Posts Road Sweep of No. 11/11 Quinnipiac: The Bowling Green Falcons recorded the first - and possibly only - sweep of a ranked non-conference opponent by a ranked team in the NCAA this season Dec. 18-19 when the Falcons skated into Hamden, Conn. and took 4-1 and 4-2 decisions from No. 11/11 Quinnipiac.
- The Falcons - who entered the series No. 13 in the USCHO poll and No. 12 in the USAT/USAHM rankings - capped the weekend on Saturday with a furious four-goal rally over the game's final 21 minutes to turn a 2-0 deficit into a 4-2 win.
- Senior Connor Ford tallied four points on a goal and three assists in the series while goaltenders Zack Rose and Eric Dop stopped 51-of-54 Bobcat shots in the two wins.
- Falcons Among National Leaders: No. 9/8 Bowling Green's 8-1 start has been fueled by a high-octane offense that ranks among NCAA leaders in several key scoring categories. BGSU leads the nation in shots on goal (377), shots on goal per game (41.89) and plus/minus (+20); ranks second in goals (38) and points (101); third in assists (63) and power play goals (nine) and fifth in faceoff wins (306).
- Tech Near Perfect on Penalty Kill: Michigan Tech heads into the holiday break with one of the most proficient penalty-kill units in the country. Among teams that have played at least five game this season, the Huskies rank second in the NCAA with a .950 PK percentage (19-of-20), trailing only the top-ranked Minnesota's perfect 1.000 mark (17-for-17).
- Bowling Green Up to Ninth in Latest USCHO Poll: Bowling Green's sweep of then-No. 11/11 Quinnipiac vaulted the Falcons to No. 9 in the latest USCHO rankings released Dec. 21. The Falcons joined Minnesota State in the top-10 as the Mavericks held onto the No. 5 spot again this week. Lake Superior State also entered the rankings at No. 20. Michigan Tech and Bemidji State were among the teams receiving votes.
- The Mavericks are also No. 5 in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine rankings while Bowling Green checks in at No. 8. Lake Superior State, Bemidji State and Michigan Tech also received votes.
- Minnesota State and Bowling Green also found themselves ranked in the latest College Hockey News Power 16 rankings. MSU checks in at No. 6 while the Falcons are up to No. 8 this week.
By The Numbers
- 101: All-time meetings between Ferris State and Northern Michigan following NMU's 5-4 win on Dec. 16.
- 69: Faceoffs won by Lake Superior State's Dustin Manz, which leads the Lakers and ranks fifth in the WCHA.
- 16: Wins in the last 19 games for Bowling Green dating back to last season. The Falcons are 16-1-2 in that span, which dates to Feb. 7, 2020.
- 16 (Again): Blocked shots for Michigan Tech's Eric Gotz, which leads the WCHA.
- 8: Players with at least one goal for Bemidji State through five games this season.
- 4: Points for Minnesota State's Cade Borchardt against Bemidji State on Dec. 18, his first career four-point game.
- 3: Game-winning goals for Bowling Green senior Max Johnson, which tops the WCHA and ranks second nationally.
The Week Ahead
- (RV/RV) Robert Morris at (9/8) Bowling Green (Dec. 29): The Falcons will host the Colonials in the final scheduled game between a WCHA team and a non-conference opponent this season. The Falcons downed RMU, 6-3, on Dec. 1 in Pittsburgh in their first meeting of the season.
- Northern Michigan at Ferris State (Dec. 30): The Wildcats visit the Bulldogs for a non-conference contest that will be the 102nd match-up between the long-time Great Lakes State rivals. NMU leads the all-time series, 65-30-6 and won the first meeting of the season, 5-4, on Dec. 16.
2021 WCHA Postseason Tournament
Once again in 2021, the WCHA will crown a playoff champion at the WCHA Postseason Tournament. The winner will receive an automatic bid to the 2021 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship and the Jeff Sauer WCHA Championship Trophy, presented by Anderson's Pure Maple Syrup.