- Ferris State's Kaufman Honored: Ferris State assistant coach Mark Kaufman has been chosen as the 2021 recipient of the American Hockey Coaches Association's Terry Flanagan Award. The award is presented annually to honor an assistant coach's career body of work.
- Bowling Green Joins Elite Company: No. 5/5 Bowling Green reached a milestone few programs have achieved when the Falcons defeated Northern Michigan, 6-2, on Jan. 16. The victory was the 1,000th for the Falcon program, making BGSU just the 26th team in NCAA history to reach that lofty number.
- Another First for McKay: Minnesota State junior Dryden McKay has rewritten the WCHA record book during his three seasons in Mankato. On Saturday, the Downers Grove, Ill., native recorded another WCHA first with a 217:37 scoreless streak that came to an end on Jan. 16. The streak is the ninth-longest in WCHA history and the second streak of 200+ minutes for the 2020 Richter Award finalist. McKay had a 234:25 run last season that ranks No. 5 on the WCHA all-time list. He is now the first goaltender in WCHA history with two scoreless streaks of more than 200 minutes.
- Twenty-Two WCHA Alumni on NHL Rosters as Season Opens: Twenty-two alumni from nine current WCHA teams appear on NHL rosters to open the 2021 season. The total includes 14 players on active rosters, six players on taxi squads and two on injured reserve. Fourteen of the 31 NHL teams feature at least one former WCHA player.
- Michigan Tech and Minnesota State boast five players each. Bowling Green is next with four players while Bemidji State and Lake Superior State have two. Alabama Huntsville, Alaska, Alaska Anchorage and Ferris State are represented by one player.
- WCHA Lands Two in the Top-5 This Week: Minnesota State and Bowling Green moved up in the USCHO rankings again this week. The Mavericks jumped three spots to No. 2 after a weekend sweep at then-No. 19/RV Lake Superior State. Meanwhile, the Falcons also jumped three spots to No. 5 following their sweep of Northern Michigan. Lake Superior State and Michigan Tech received votes.
- The Mavericks and Falcons are also No. 2 and No. 5, respectively, in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine rankings this week. Michigan Tech and Lake Superior State received votes this week.
- Minnesota State, Bowling Green and Michigan Tech also found themselves ranked in the latest College Hockey News Power 16 rankings released Jan. 19. MSU checks in at No. 4 while the Falcons hold at No. 6. Tech remains at No. 16 for the second week.
By The Numbers
- 390: Games coached by Bemidji State's Tom Serratore since the Beavers joined the WCHA, a total which ranks 21st in league history.
- 16: Blocked shots for Lake Superior State's Yuki Miura, which leads the Lakers and ranks No. 2 among WCHA forwards.
- 12: Shutouts by WCHA goaltenders this season, the most of any conference in the country.
- 7: Points scored by Minnesota State's Akito Hirose and Alabama Huntsville's Tyrone Bronte, the most among all WCHA rookies.
- 5.44: Shots on goal per game for Minnesota State forward Reggie Lutz, which leads the NCAA.
- 5: Goals for Ferris State junior Ethan Stewart, which tops the Bulldogs' goal-scoring chart. Stewart entered the season in search of his first career goal.
- 4: Game-winning goals for Bowling Green's Max Johnson this season to tie for the NCAA lead.
- .958: NCAA-leading penalty kill percentage for Michigan Tech. The Huskies have killed 23-of-24 power plays this season.
The Week Ahead
- (5/5) Bowling Green at Bemidji State (NC): The nationally ranked Falcons visit the Beavers in this week's WCHA non-conference series on Thursday and Friday. Bowling Green leads the all-time series, 15-11-3, but the Beavers hold a 7-5-2 advantage in Bemidji and are unbeaten in the last three meetings at the Sanford Center (2-0-1).
- (RV/RV) Lake Superior State at (RV/RV) Michigan Tech: The Lakers and Huskies will meet for the second time this season this weekend. The two UP schools played to a 0-0 tie in the first game of a non-conference series on Nov. 21 in Sault Ste. Marie before Lake State posted a 4-1 win in the series finale the following day. Tech leads the all-time series 49-27-1.
- Ferris State at (2/2) Minnesota State: The second-ranked Mavericks host the Bulldogs in the first of two series this season on Saturday and Sunday. Minnesota State has won nine of the last 10 meetings and leads the series, 23-8-2.
- Northern Michigan at Alabama Huntsville (ppd.): This weekend's series between the Wildcats and Chargers has been postponed due to a pause in team activities at Alabama Huntsville.
2021 WCHA Postseason Tournament
Once again in 2021, the WCHA will crown a playoff champion at the WCHA Postseason Tournament. The winner will receive an automatic bid to the 2021 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship and the Jeff Sauer WCHA Championship Trophy, presented by Anderson's Pure Maple Syrup.