- Another Record for McKay: Minnesota State junior Dryden McKay became the WCHA's career shutout leader with a 5-0 win at Alabama Huntsville on Feb. 12. The shutout was the 22nd of McKay's career, surpassing former record-holder Michael Bitzer of Bemidji State, who posted 21 whitewashes from 2014-18.
- The total also moves McKay into sole possession of second place on the NCAA career list. Former Michigan State netminder Ryan Miller holds the NCAA record with 26 shutouts from 1999-2002.
- McKay has posted eight shutouts in 14 starts this season, just two off of his league-record 10 blankings in 2019-20. His six shutouts in WCHA play are also two shy of his record eight from a season ago.
- McKay's 0.79 goals against average this season is on pace to surpass the WCHA record of 1.27 set by North Dakota's Bob Peters in 1957-58. The NCAA single-season record is 1.19, set by Maine's Jimmy Howard in 2003-04.
- 2021 WCHA Postseason Format Finalized: The 2021 WCHA Postseason Tournament will be held over two weekends, beginning with the quarterfinal weekend March 12-14 followed by a four-team, one-site championship weekend March 19-20.
- The top four teams in the final regular season standings will each host a best-of-three quarterfinal round series March 12-14. The four quarterfinal winners will meet in a two-round championship weekend at the site of the highest remaining seed March 19-20.
- The four quarterfinal winners will play single-game semifinals on March 19 with the winners advancing to the WCHA Championship Game on March 20. The winner of the 2021 WCHA Postseason Tournament receives the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship.
- WCHA Lands Four the Top-20 This Week: Minnesota State, Bowling Green, Michigan Tech and Lake Superior State represent the WCHA in the latest USCHO rankings released Feb. 15. Minnesota State remains at No. 3 this week while Bowling Green checks in at No. 14 with Michigan Tech at No. 18 and Lake Superior State at No. 20 and Northern Michigan receiving votes.
- The Mavericks and Falcons are No. 3 and tied for No. 13, respectively, in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine rankings this week while Michigan Tech received votes.
- Minnesota State and Bowling Green are ranked in the latest College Hockey News Power 16 rankings released Feb. 16. MSU checks in at No. 5 while the Falcons are No. 13.
By The Numbers
- 992: All-time wins for Lake Superior State following the Lakers' sweep at Bowling Green Feb. 12-13 and road win at Michigan Tech Feb. 16.
- 402: Wins as a WCHA program for Northern Michigan. The Wildcats became the 11th school in WCHA history to reach the 400-win plateau with their 5-1 win at Bemidji State on Feb. 12.
- 284: Faceoff wins for Northern Michigan's Joseph Nardi, which leads the nation.
- 99: Career assists for Bowling Green's Brandon Kruse, one shy of becoming the 21st Falcon to reach 100 career helpers.
- +15: Plus/minus rating for Minnesota State freshman defenseman Akito Hirose, which is tied for first among all NCAA rookies.
- 7: Consecutive games with a point for Michigan Tech's Trenton Bliss, who has four goals and four assists in that span.
- 5: Number of freshmen among Ferris State's top-10 scorers. Forward Mitch Deelstra leads all FSU rookies with nine points on seven goals and two assists.
The Week Ahead
- Alabama Huntsville at (20/UR) Lake Superior State: The Chargers continue their week-long tour of the UP with a stop in the Soo for a two-game set with Lake Superior State. The Lakers lead the all-time series, 16-7-5.
- (RV/UR) Bemidji State at (18/RV) Michigan Tech: The Beavers visit Houghton having won five of their last seven meetings with the Huskies (5-1-1), but Tech leads the all-time series, 17-13-6.
- (14/T-13) Bowling Green at (RV/UR) Northern Michigan: Bowling Green and Northern Michigan meet for the second time this season on Saturday and Sunday. The Falcons swept a non-conference set, 5-1 and 6-2, Jan. 15-16 at Bowling Green.
- (3/3) Minnesota State at Ferris State (NC): The third-ranked Mavericks visit Big Rapids in the final scheduled WCHA non-conference series of the season. Minnesota State is 25-8-2 against the Bulldogs, including an 11-1-0 mark in the last 12 meetings.
- (20/UR) Lake Superior State at (18/RV) Michigan Tech (Feb. 23): The Lakers won game one of this series with a 3-1 win at Tech on Feb. 16.
- Alabama Huntsville at (14/T-13) Bowling Green (Feb. 24): The Chargers visit Bowling Green to open a two-game home-and-home series. BGSU will visit UAH for game 2 on Feb. 28.
2021 WCHA Postseason Tournament
Once again in 2021, the WCHA will crown a playoff champion at the WCHA Postseason Tournament. The winner will receive an automatic bid to the 2021 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship and the Jeff Sauer WCHA Championship Trophy, presented by Anderson's Pure Maple Syrup.