- WCHA Announces All-Decade Team for the 1990s: The WCHA continued its recognition of 70 Years of Excellence last week with the announcement of its All-Decade honorees for the 1990s.
- Named to the All-Decade Team were forwards Greg Johnson of North Dakota (1989-93), Brian Bonin of Minnesota (1992-96) and Brian Swanson of Colorado College (1995-99); defensemen Mike Crowley of Minnesota (1994-97) and Nick Naumenko of North Dakota (1992-96) and goaltender Karl Goehring of North Dakota (1997-2001).
- Minnesota's Crowley was honored as the Player of the Decade. Crowley tallied 157 career points on 37 goals and 120 assists for the Golden Gophers and is one of only two defensemen in WCHA history to win the league's Scoring Championship.
- North Dakota's Dean Blais was named the WCHA Coach of the Decade. Blais, who coached at North Dakota from 1994-2004, led the Fighting Sioux to two national championships (1997, 2000) along with a runner-up finish in 2001. In WCHA play, Blais' UND squads captured four regular-season titles and two postseason crowns during his tenure.
- Exclusive Company for Ferris State's Daniels: Ferris State head coach Bob Daniels joined a select group of coaches recently when he was behind the bench for his 1,100th career game at the Bulldog helm on Feb. 13 at Michigan Tech. With that contest Daniels joined former Boston University head coach Jack Parker and former Michigan head man Red Berenson as just the third coach in NCAA men's ice hockey history to coach in 1,100 Division I games at one school. This Friday's game with No. 18/RV Lake Superior State will be the 1,103rd game of Daniels' FSU tenure.
- WCHA Lands Five the Top-20 This Week: Minnesota State, Bowling Green, Lake Superior State, Bemidji State and Michigan Tech represent the WCHA in the latest USCHO rankings released Feb. 22. Minnesota State remains at No. 3 this week while Bowling Green checks in at No. 13 with Lake Superior State at No. 18, Bemidji State at No. 19 and Michigan Tech at No. 20.
- The Mavericks and Falcons are No. 3 and No. 14, respectively, in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine rankings this week while Lake Superior State, Bemidji State and Michigan Tech received votes.
- Minnesota State and Bowling Green are ranked in the latest College Hockey News Power 16 rankings released Feb. 23. MSU is up to No. 4 while the Falcons remain at No. 13.
By The Numbers
- 399: Games coached as a WCHA head coach for Bemidji State's Tom Serratore. He will become just the 20th coach to reach 400 games behind the bench in the league when the Beavers square off with Minnesota State on Thursday.
- 31: Blocked shots for Lake Superior State's Yuki Miuri and Northern Michigan's Joseph Nardi which shares the WCHA and NCAA lead amongst forwards.
- 16: Points for Ferris State senior forward Coale Norris to pace the Bulldogs in scoring through 21 games.
- 80: Saves for Bemidji State's Zach Driscoll at Michigan Tech last weekend, which is a WCHA season high for stops in a two-game series.
- 18: Points in league play for Northern Michigan's André Ghantous, which tops all scorers in WCHA contests.
- 13: Points for Alabama Huntsville freshman Tyrone Bronte to lead the Chargers and rank No. 2 amongst WCHA rookies.
- 9: Game-winning goals for Minnesota State's Reggie Lutz, which is tied for second among active WCHA players.
- 7: Career shutouts for Bowling Green goaltender Eric Dop, which ranks No. 2 in school history.
The Week Ahead
- (19/RV) Bemidji State vs. (3/3) Minnesota State: The Mavericks look to clinch their fourth-consecutive MacNaughton Cup against the Beavers this weekend.
- Alabama Huntsville vs. (13/14) Bowling Green: The Chargers and Falcons meet on Wednesday and Sunday this week in a home-and-homes series. BGSU is 7-1-1 in the last nine meetings between the two schools.
- (18/RV) Lake Superior State vs. Ferris State: The Lakers and Bulldogs meet in the first of two games in a split series on Friday. Lake State leads the all-time series, 76-50-5 and swept all four meetings a season ago.
- Northern Michigan vs. (20/RV) Michigan Tech: The long-time UP rivals meet for the fifth and sixth times this season on Friday and Saturday. Tech enters the weekend having won all four of those match-ups.
- (18/RV) Lake Superior State at (19/RV) Bemidji State (March 2): The Lakers visit Bemidji State to open a two-game set on March 2.
2021 WCHA Postseason Tournament
Once again in 2021, the WCHA will crown a playoff champion at the WCHA Postseason Tournament. The winner will receive an automatic bid to the 2021 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship and the Jeff Sauer WCHA Championship Trophy, presented by Anderson's Pure Maple Syrup.