- McKay, Mitens and Pietila Among 2021 Richter Award Finalists: Three WCHA netminders are among nine finalists for the 2021 Mike Richter Award.
- Minnesota State's Dryden McKay, Lake Superior State's Mareks Mitens and Michigan Tech's Blake Pietila have been among the nation's best goaltenders statistically this season and are now in contention for the nation's top goaltender award.
- McKay (1.30), Pietila (1.46) and Mitens (1.90) rank No. 1, No, 4 and No. 9, respectively, in goals against average nationally.
- Pietila (No. 4- .939), Mitens (No. 6- .934) and McKay (No. 7- .93) also rank among the top 10 nationally in save percentage.
- Milestone Game for Serratore: Bemidji State's Feb. 26 game with Minnesota State was the 400th behind the bench for Tom Serratore as a WCHA head coach. He is now just the 20th coach in league history to coach in 400 games a league school.
- Record Title for Minnesota State: No. 4/4 Minnesota State clinched the 2020-21 WCHA regular-season title with a 4-3 overtime win over then No. 19/RV Bemidji State on Feb. 26. The MacNaughton Cup-securing victory gives the Mavericks a fourth-consecutive regular season league crown, marking the first time in WCHA history a team has won a quartet of titles in a row. MSU had been tied with Colorado College (1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96) for the most consecutive outright titles at three.
- High-Flying Falcons: No. 13/13 Bowling Green's 19-8-1 record has been fueled by a high-octane offense that ranks among NCAA leaders in several key scoring categories. BGSU leads the nation in shots on goal (999), game-winning goals (17) and faceoff wins (861); ranks second goals (99), assists (167), points (266), plus/minus (+37) and shorthanded goals (five)
- WCHA Lands Five the Top-20 Again This Week: Minnesota State, Bowling Green, Lake Superior State, Bemidji State and Michigan Tech represent the WCHA in the latest USCHO rankings released March 1. Minnesota State remains at No. 4 this week while Bowling Green checks in at No. 13 with Bemidji State at No. 17, Michigan Tech at No. 19 and Lake Superior State at No. 20.
- The Mavericks and Falcons are No. 4 and No. 13, respectively, in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine rankings this week while Lake Superior State, Bemidji State and Michigan Tech received votes.
- Minnesota State and Bemidji State are ranked in the latest College Hockey News Power 16 rankings released March 2. MSU is No. 5 while the Beavers are No. 13.
By The Numbers
- $1.8 Million: Dollars raised by Alaska Anchorage supporters to save the UAA hockey program. Save Seawolf Hockey, which recently garnered the support of the NHL's Seattle Kraken is more than halfway to its $3 million goal to secure the return of the program after the university announced it intended to discontinue the sport in August 2020. For more information on the effort, visit saveseawolfhockey.com.
- 404: Blocked shots for Northern Michigan this season, the No. 2 total in the nation. The Wildcats join Wisconsin as one of only two teams with 400+ blocks this season.
- 230: Wins for Minnesota State in nine seasons under Mike Hastings, the top victory total in college hockey over that span.
- 99: Career points for Bowling Green's Cameron Wright, who is seeking to become the fourth member of the 2020-21 Falcons to top the 100-point mark, joining Brandon Kruse (141), Max Johnson (120) and Connor Ford (114).
- 92: Games played between Alabama Huntsville and Bemidji State, including four NCAA Division II national championship games in the 1990s. The Chargers and Beavers will meet this weekend in Bemidji.
- 89: Games played by Richter Award finalist Mareks Mitens, tying the Lake Superior State netminder for second among active WCHA goaltenders.
- 16: Points for Ferris State's Coale Norris on a balanced eight goals and eight assists to lead the Bulldogs in scoring.
- 8: Points for Michigan Tech's Colin Swoyer to lead all WCHA blueliners in February and earn the junior WCHA Defenseman of the Month honors.
The Week Ahead
- (19/RV) Michigan Tech at (4/4) Minnesota State: Two of the top special teams squads in the nation meet in Mankato. Tech is No. 5 in penalty-kill percentage and No. 10 in power play percentage. MSU is tied for 10th on the PK and No. 3 with the man advantage.
- Alabama Huntsville at (17/RV) Bemidji State: The long-time rivals meet for the first time since Jan. 9-10, 2020 when BSU swept a two-game set in Huntsville.
- Ferris State at (20/RV) Lake Superior State: The Bulldogs and Lakers wrap up their split series with a single game in The Soo on Saturday. Lake State won the series opener, 4-2, on Feb. 26 at FSU.
2021 WCHA Postseason Tournament
Once again in 2021, the WCHA will crown a playoff champion at the WCHA Postseason Tournament. The winner will receive an automatic bid to the 2021 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship and the Jeff Sauer WCHA Championship Trophy, presented by Anderson's Pure Maple Syrup.