Sophomore forward J.T. Brown posts goal and two assists for Bulldogs

J.T. Brown had a goal and two assists for the Bulldogs

HOUGHTON, Mich. - No 20 Michigan Tech and No. 4 Minnesota Duluth were knotted at three-all with eight minutes to go before the visiting Bulldogs reeled off two goals in 46 seconds to claim a series sweep of the hockey Huskies at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.

UMD's Jack Connolly scored on a breakaway with 7:56 to play, and the visitors added a power play tally with 7:10 remaining to improve to 11-3-2 overall and 10-2-1 in WCHA play. The Huskies fell to 8-7-1 overall and 5-6-1 in the league with their second consecutive 5-3 loss.

"I felt our energy and effort were good all game," said head coach Mel Pearson. "There wasn't much difference between the teams, and that's a good thing. They're the defending champions, and we were tied late in the third period. Connolly's play was the difference in the game."

Much like yesterday's game, the Huskies had a five-on-three power play with a chance to take control of the game. Tonight's opportunity came early in the third with the score knotted at three. Tech had good chances, but couldn't convert.

Connolly's game-winner came on a clean breakaway. The UMD captain took a pass from Mike Seidel at the blue line and skated in alone on Josh Robinson, who made the initial save. The rebound caromed right back to Connolly, who buried it.

Tech's Carl Nielsen was called for high sticking on the play, and the Bulldogs converted the ensuing power play just 46 seconds later.

Tech finished 2-for-7 on the man advantage while UMD was 2-for-6. The Bulldogs held a 42-27 advantage in shots on goal.

Michigan Tech held a pair of one-goal leads in the opening stanza. Ryan Furne scored his fifth goal of the year with a pretty, tic-tac-toe passing play to open the game's scoring. Brett Olson took a Bradley Stebner pass from the point and made a nice feed through the crease to Furne on the back door.

The Bulldogs tied the game less than three minutes later while on the power play as Seidel fired home a rebound.

Sophomore Daniel Sova gave the Black and Gold a 2-1 advantage midway through the first. The defenseman rifled a shot through traffic from the blue line for his first career goal. Jordan Baker assisted on the power-play tally.

UMD answered again, this time less than two minutes later. Robinson seemed to have the puck covered, but a Bulldog player knocked it free and Keegan Flaherty threw it on net.

The visitors went ahead 3-2 in the second period only to see the Huskies answer. While on the power play, David Johnstone one-timed a shot from the left circle to even the score at three. That's where the margin remained until UMD's quick strike with eight minutes to play.

Michigan Tech will be back on the road next weekend with a WCHA series at Minnesota. Games are Friday (Dec. 9) at 8:07 p.m. ET and Saturday (Dec. 10) at 9:07 p.m ET.