Ryan Furne had an assist for the Huskies

CANTON, N.Y. - Michigan Tech scored two goals in the final eight minutes but couldn't get the equalizer in a 3-2 men's ice hockey loss at St. Lawrence tonight at Appleton Arena. The Huskies held a 35-22 advantage in shots on goal but fell to 7-5-1 on the season. The Saints improved to 5-6-0, winning their fifth in their last six outings.

Tech seemingly had pucks sitting in front of the net all night, but couldn't put them in. That was especially true in the third period, where the Huskies put 14 shots on net compared to just three for SLU.

"Some nights the puck doesn't go in," said head coach Mel Pearson. "When that happens, you have to make sure you play very well defensively. We made too many mistakes, and you can't do that-especially on the road."

Trailing 3-0 entering the third period, the Huskies battled back. They had four power plays in the final 20 minutes, but couldn't solve Matt Weninger until the third one. Ryan Furne made a nice move at the point to fire a shot towards the goal that Brett Olson redirected into the top left corner of the goal. That made the score 3-1 with 7:57 to play.

The Huskies killed off a penalty of their own with six minutes left, then went on their fourth power play with 2:56 to go. Robinson was pulled from net with 1:36 to play, giving Tech the extra skater.

Tanner Kero missed an open net as he couldn't swat home a rolling puck with 40 seconds to go. He didn't miss 30 seconds later, pulling Tech within 3-2 with 13.2 showing on the clock.

Pearson called timeout and left Robinson on the bench, but the Huskies didn't get a good chance in the final seconds at the equalizer.

Weninger posted 33 saves for the Saints while Robinson had 19. Both goaltenders made several big-time saves in the contest.

SLU built up its three-goal lead with the help of a couple Tech turnovers. The Saints took scored first 10 minutes into the action as a Huskies defensive player fell down at the blue line, resulting in a two-on-one. Chris Martin fed a nice pass from the wing to Kyle Essery in front for a 1-0 advantage.

Six minutes later, Chris Martin beat Robinson through his five hole for a 2-0 lead after one period.

The teams skated up and down the ice in the second with both teams getting quality scoring chances. Essery tallied the only goal of the period at the 8:39 mark after a turnover at center ice led to a three-on-one. Essery threw the puck in front of the net from the right wall, where it deflected off Steven Seigo's skate and into the net for a 3-0 advantage.

The 3-0 advantage stretched all the way until Olson's goal with 7:57 to play.

Tech finished 1-for-5 on the man advantage while St. Lawrence was scoreless on three chances.

Michigan Tech and St. Lawrence will complete their two game series tomorrow afternoon with a 4 p.m. faceoff in Canton.