Ryan Furne, Milos Gordic and Tanner Kero each score goals in second period for Huskies

Milos Gordic scored a goal for the Huskies

CANTON, N.Y. - The Michigan Tech hockey team used a three-goal second period en route to a 3-1 non-conference victory at St. Lawrence this afternoon. All four goals in the game were scored in the second period, and three different Huskies lit the lamp to help the visitors earn the series split and improve to 8-5-1 overall.

A scoreless first period wasn't without opportunities. The Huskies fired nine shots on goal compared to five for the hosts, and both teams had a power play.

Michigan Tech got on the board 4:52 into the second period on a Ryan Furne goal. Furne got the puck in the slot on a rebound as Blake Pietila had fired an initial shot from the doorstep. Brett Olson also earned an assist on the power-play goal.

Just one minute later, Milos Gordic made it a 2-0 lead as he picked the pocket of a St. Lawrence player in the offensive zone, then buried a shot from the high slot.

SLU pulled within a goal at the 13:37 mark as Jordan Dewey walked in from the point on the power play and fired one past Josh Robinson.

The score didn't remain 2-1 for long, as Tanner Kero collected a loose puck to the left of SLU netminder Matt Weninger and buried a shot into the top netting. The goal at 17:36 helped Kero regain a tie for the team lead in goals (six) with Gordic.

Both teams had opportunities in the final period, but neither scored. St. Lawrence outshot the Huskies 10-8 in the closing 20 minutes including three shots on a late power play. Tech had possession of the puck with an open St. Lawrence's net twice in the final 90 seconds but couldn't find the handle. Time eventually ran out on the Saints.

"It was a tough game," said Tech head coach Mel Pearson. "Whenever you give up just one goal, you have a good chance to win. I thought it was a really good effort on the road."

Robinson made 25 saves in net for the Huskies including 10 on 11 power play shots by the Saints. Weninger notched 22 saves on the afternoon.

Pietila had a game-high two points with assists on the Huskies' first and third goals.

Today's game wrapped up a four-game road trip that covered more than 9,000 miles traveled for the Huskies.

"I told the guys it was a successful road trip," said Pearson. "It's tough to win on the road, and we got two wins. Now we'll be happy to get back home."

Michigan Tech will host Minnesota Duluth in a WCHA series at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena Friday and Saturday (Dec. 2-3).