Junior forward Brett Cameron scores game-winning goal for Seawolves

Junior forward Brett Cameron scored the game-winning goal for the Seawolves

ANCHORAGE - In a physical Game 1 of the Alaska Airlines Governor's Cup, the Alaska Anchorage Seawolves came away as victors, defeating the Alaska Fairbanks Nanooks, 3-2 in a Western Collegiate Hockey Association game at the Sullivan Arena to stay undefeated at home.

The Seawolves (7-6-2, 4-5-2 WCHA) came back from an early one-goal deficit to defeat the visiting Nanooks (5-8-2, 2-7-0 WCHA) and move into a three-way tie for No. 5 in the league standings with 10 points. UAF remains at No. 9 with four points and extends its losing streak to four games.

The Nanooks struck fast, going up 1-0 with just 15 seconds expired on the clock. Tyler Morley won the face-off to Rob Gunderson's left, where Marcus Basara collected his sixth of the season with a wrister that dribbled through the five hole.

Freshman forward Dylan Hubbs found the equalizer at 15:49, beating netminder John Keeney top-shelf after receiving a pass from senior forward Jordan Kwas that set him up for a breakaway. The second helper was credited to defenseman Chris Williams.

The Seawolves took their first lead of the game at 11:32 of the second with a power-play tally by junior defenseman Austin Coldwell, just 18 seconds into the man advantage - UAA's first PPG since Nov. 23 vs. Michigan Tech. Blake Tatchell and Matt Bailey assisted on the play.

A UAA turnover just outside the crease knotted the game once more with a goal by Morley at 18:24 to send the teams into the locker room with 2-2 on the scoreboard.

The game-winning goal went to junior Brett Cameron with his second tally in three games. Cameron, who recently missed four games with an upper-body injury, collected the go-ahead goal at 9:35 of the third after picking up Scott Allen's blocked shot.

The Seawolves only mustered a season-low 13 shots on goal, compared to UAF's 21. Gunderson furnished the win with 19 saves, while Keeney made 10 stops.

UAA was 1-of-2 on the power play, while UAF was scoreless on two attempts.

The in-state rivals will battle again tomorrow night at 7:07 p.m.