Nanooks score final three goals in third period to capture victory

Senior forward Cody Kunyk scores game-winner for Nanooks

ANCHORAGE -- The Alaska Fairbanks Nanooks claimed Game 2 of the Alaska Airlines Governor's Cup with a come-from-behind 5-4 win over the Alaska Anchorage Seawolves in a Western Collegiate Hockey Association game at the Sullivan Arena on Saturday evening.

The Seawolves (7-7-2, 4-6-2 WCHA) came back from an early, two-goal deficit with four straight goals throughout the game, only to have the Nanooks (6-8-2, 3-7-0 WCHA) respond with three, third-period goals of their own to break a five-game losing streak and hand UAA its first loss at home.

The Nanooks put up two early goals, scoring at 2:03 and 3:40 of the opening stanza. Colton Beck found his first goal since early November and fourth of the season to give UAF the initial lead for the second straight night, before Alex Hajdukovich extended the lead to two 1:37 later.

UAA didn't let up and at 9:42 sophomore forward Blake Tatchell found his first power-play of the season and just the second man-advantage strike of his career. Junior defenseman Austin Coldwell - who had one of UAA's goals last night - hit classmate Scott Allen, who then fed Tatchell across the crease.

Coming off of an unsuccessful 5-on-3, the Seawolves knotted the game at 7:03 of the second period with junior Andrew Pettitt's first collegiate tally. Pettitt, from Whitehorse, Yukon, buried the puck nine seconds after the power play expired with help from freshman Chase Van Allen.

After the second period - which seemed to last forever - the Seawolves took their first lead of the night in the third with back-to-back tallies from Allen and sophomore Blake Leask. Allen furnished his team-leading 10th of the season at 2:57, before Leask -skating this weekend as a forward - put UAA up by two at 3:30.

UAF's Marcus Basara responded 49 seconds later at 4:09 when he collected his own rebound. Beck then registered his second of the night at 12:05 following a pass from Cody Kunyk, who then posted the game-winning goal at 17:13.

The Seawolves placed 33 shots on net, easily surpassing their 13 shots from last night in tonight's second period. The Nanooks found the net 20 times. Senior Rob Gunderson made 15 saves for the evening, while Sean Cahill forged his first win of the season with 29 stops.

UAA was 2-for-8 on the man advantage, while UAF was 1-for-4.

The Seawolves and Nanooks will wrap up the Cup with two games in March in Fairbanks.

UAA stays at home and entertains WCHA newcomer Lake Superior State, Dec. 13-14 at the Sullivan Arena. The games are scheduled to commence at 7:07 p.m. both evenings.