Freshman goaltender Tomas Sholl makes 20 saves for Falcons

Sophomore Ben Murphy had two goals and an assist for the Falcons

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio. - The Bowling Green State University ice hockey team defeated Colgate University on Saturday night (Oct. 19), 7-0, in an offensive juggernaut showcase in the second game of the home series. Playing in front of 2,189 Falcon faithful at the BGSU Ice Arena, the Falcons (2-1-2) saw five different players score goals, while Tomas Sholl stopped all 20 shots he faced to earn his first collegiate victory.

The Orange and Brown got two goals from both Ben Murphy and Brent Tate, while sophomore forward Mark Cooper, senior forward Bryce Williamson and freshman forward Pierre-Luc Mercier all scored goals for the Falcons. Bowling Green had a total of 14 assists on seven goals, including four from junior forward Dan DeSalvo - a new career high in assists.

On the night, the Falcons finished 2-for-9 on the power play, and a perfect 3-for-3 on the penalty kill. Bowling Green also outshot the Raiders (2-2-1) in each period on their way to scoring an impressive seven goals. For the weekend, the Orange and Brown outshot the Raiders by a notable 59 shots.

Much like on Friday night, Bowling Green dominated the offensive side of the game, outshooting the Raiders 50-to-20. However, after coming away with only a tie, the Falcons left little doubt with their first non-conference shutout at home since Dec. 12, 2012 against Niagara. It was the first time since 2008 that the Falcons had 50 shots on goal in a game, dating back to Oct. 11, 2008 when Bowling Green tied Niagara 3-3 in overtime.

With both teams well on their way to a scoreless first period, Cooper lit-the-lamp with 55 seconds remaining in the period for the Falcons first goal of the night. Williamson brought the puck through the neutral zone before taking a hard hit from Colgate. The puck trickled away as Cooper corralled the puck and raced towards Colgate's netminder. After a pair of dekes, Cooper beat the Raiders Charlie Finn for his second marker of the season.

The Orange and Brown doubled their lead with 12:56 remaining in the second period. Williamson, who entered the game with two consecutive games with at least a point, sent a pass into the slot to find a waiting Murphy. Murphy sent a one-timer into the back of the net, giving the Falcons a 2-0 lead.

It didn't take long for Bowling Green to light the lamp once more, taking only 1:22 to find the net for their third goal of the game. Defenseman Rusty Hafner, who is from Toledo, Ohio, got the puck at the point and fired it into the slot. The puck found Tate and quickly deflected it past Finn, giving Bowling Green a comfortable 3-0 lead halfway through the second frame.

After a five minute major penalty and a boarding call later in the period, the Falcons found themselves in a 4-on-3 man advantage. After Cooper won the faceoff, DeSalvo sent a shot on goal from the high slot. Finn was able to make the initial save, but could not hold onto the puck. Williamson collected the rebound on the left side of the crease and flipped it in for his third point in the game.

Williamson has now had at least one point in the last three games, including three straight games with a goal.

Murphy scored once more with 7:24 remaining in the third period, and freshman Mercier scored his second marker on the year to help lift the Falcons to a commanding 7-0 victory.

The next time the Orange and Brown will be in action will be on Oct. 29 when the Falcons travel to Columbus, Ohio to take on the Buckeyes of Ohio State. The game will be played at Value City Arena in what will be the final game between the two teams this season. Bowling Green will look to beat the Buckeyes in back-to-back games for the first time since the 2005-06 season.