Sophomore forward Ben Murphy scored two goals for the Falcons

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio. - The Bowling Green State University lost to Ohio State University Tuesday night (Oct. 29), falling to the Buckeyes by a score of 5-3. Playing in front of 1,782 fans at the Value City Arena in Columbus, Ohio, the Falcons saw three different players score Falcon goals, while freshman goaltender Tomas Sholl stopped 23-of-27 shots he faced.

The Falcons got goals from junior forward Dan DeSalvo, sophomore forward Ben Murphy and senior forward Bryce Williamson. It marked the fourth consecutive game Williamson has had a goal, and four-straight games with at lease one point or more.

The Orange and Brown came out in the first period aggressive on the offensive end, and was able to light the lamp 2:39 into the frame. After freshman forward Pierre-Luc Mercier won the faceoff, junior defenseman Rusty Hafner gathered the puck and made a nice touch pass towards the front of the net. DeSalvo quickly reacted and sent the one-timer past Buckeye goaltender Matt Tomkins for the first goal of the game, giving the Falcons an early 1-0 lead.

Hafner has now had an assist in the Falcons' last three games, giving him three points on the year.

Both teams had plenty of opportunities throughout the first period, however, the Buckeyes took advantage of a 2-on-1 chance with 2:23 remaining in the first frame to tie the game at 1-all. After a Bowling Green turnover, Ohio State played a nice tic-tac-toe passing play through the neutral zone as junior Nick Oddo and freshman David Gust found themselves on a 2-on-1 rush. Gust received the pass from Oddo and made a deke in front of Sholl and sent it past the Falcon netminder for his first collegiate goal.

Each team battled defensively in the second period, as neither allowed a power play goal. The second period saw a total of six power play chances, as Bowling Green went a perfect 4-for-4 on the penalty kill, while the Buckeyes answered by killing all two of the Falcons' chances.

Ohio State lit-the-lamp with 2:53 remaining in the second period. After getting back to full-strength, the Buckeyes junior forward Darik Angeli passed the puck back toward Ryan Dzingel and sent a wrist shot from the left circle into the back of the net. The goal gave Ohio State a 2-1 advantage entering the final period.

Trailing 2-1, the Falcons scored their second goal of the game only 1:37 into the final period. Williamson sent a pass across the slot to find a waiting Murphy. Murphy corralled the puck and sent the one-timer past the Buckeye netminder, tying the game at 2-2 with 18:23 left in the period.

In a blink of an eye, Ohio State struck back again, scoring 42 seconds later to take a 3-2 lead with 17:41 remaining in the period. Sophomore Craig Dalrymple received the puck at the point and sent it into the crease. Oddo was able to redirect the puck in the scrum near the net and sent it past Sholl for the third Buckeye goal of the game.

In a back-and-forth third period that saw five goals, the Falcons were able to tie the game once more. Murphy sent a shot from the high slot as Tomkins made the initial save, but could not hold onto the puck. Williamson collected the rebound and sent it into the back of the net, tying the game at 3-3 with 13:24 left.

Ohio State scored the final two goals of the game, including an empty-net goal in the final seconds to secure the victory.

The Falcons will be back on their home ice this weekend (Nov. 1-2), hosting the Alaska Anchorage Seawolves at the BGSU Ice Arena. The weekend series will open conference play for both teams in the newly formed Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA). BGSU and Alaska Anchorage have met only twice, dating back to 1988 when the Falcons defeated the Seawolves twice on their home ice.