Sophomore C.J. Eick scored a shorthanded goal for the Huskies

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Michigan Tech battled back from a two-goal deficit to tie the game before No. 4-ranked Notre Dame scored late in the third period for a 3-2 victory at Compton Family Ice Arena. The Huskies scored one goal shorthanded and another on the power play in a game marked with a combined 34 minutes of penalties.

"Our guys gave it everything they had tonight," said head coach Mel Pearson. "We came ready to play."

"Penalties and power plays became a real factor. I thought Notre Dame showed their strength and maturity in the third period."

Both Irish goals were power-play related, although only one went down as a special teams marker. The hosts went up 1-0 at the 5:48 mark. With a Reid Sturos penalty expiring two seconds earlier, UND's Steven Fogarty collected a pass and beat Pheonix Copley inside the far post from inside the left faceoff dot.

The Fighting Irish made it 2-0 on a power play goal. Robbie Russo's shot from the high slot appeared to redirect off a Tech defenseman in front of Copley.

Tech looked like it had answered the Russo goal just 15 seconds later as Mike Neville found Blake Hietala open at the back door. The puck went under UND netminder Steven Summerhayes and trickled across the goal line. The goal was waved off immediately and not overturned after a lengthy video review because the official had blown his whistle.

The Huskies were called for five consecutive penalties spanning the first intermission. C.J. Eick generated offense on the penalty kill early in the second period. The sophomore picked the pocket of an Irish player at the Huskies blue line and skated in all alone on Summerhayes. Eick banked his shorthanded shot in off the left post to cut the deficit in half.

UND was called for consecutive penalties later in the frame, giving Tech 1:55 of 5-on-3 power play. Ryan Furne made it pay with a rocket one-timer from the right circle that beat Summerhayes up high. Riley Sweeney and Brent Baltus drew assists on the play.

Tech had scoring opportunities in the third period, but play was largely controlled by Notre Dame. Copley made several quality saves but surrendered the game winner with 7:01 remaining. T.J. Tynan scored from the slot after a drop pass from Mario Lucia.

Tech played the final 47 seconds with the extra attacker, but couldn't get the equalizer.

Copley finished with 40 saves while Summerhayes, who gave up his first two goals of the season, made 22.

"We showed that we can play with them," said Pearson. "It's a tough building to play in and a tough opponent, but that's why we scheduled it. It shows us where we are and what we have to work on. I see a lot of really good things going on with our team, and I'm encouraged."

With Notre Dame football hosting USC tomorrow on campus, the hockey series will take a day off before concluding Sunday (Oct. 20). Opening faceoff is set for 2 p.m.