|1st||13:11||BGS||1-0||EV||Kevin Dufour (12)||Brandon Hawkins/9, Dan DeSalvo/12|
|2nd||15:06||BGS||2-0||EV||Pierre-Luc Mercier (5)||Adam Berkle/9, Matt Pohlkamp/12|
|3rd||16:55||BMJ||1-2||EV||Matt Prapavessis (7)||Gerry Fitzgerald/10|
|3rd||19:05||BMJ||2-2||EV EA GT||Brendan Harms (7)||Phillip Marinaccio/7, Matt Prapavessis/12|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||OT||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Bowling Green (15-6-5)||0/4||6/12||0|
|Bemidji State (10-12-4)||0/4||6/12||0|
|Bowling Green Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||OT||Saves|
|Chris Nell (T, 6-2-2)||65:00||2||5||10||11||2||28|
|Bemidji State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||OT||Saves|
|Michael Bitzer (T, 8-7-2)||64:38||2||5||7||7||4||23|
BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men's hockey team used period goals by Matt Prappavessis and Brendan Harms to earn a 2-2 tie against No. 6 Bowling Green State University Saturday night at Sanford Center.
The Beavers used the draw to finish the weekend taking three-of-four points from the Falcons, extend its current unbeaten streak to four games (3-0-1) and remain unbeaten at home since Nov. 29 (5-0-2).
Trailing 2-0 with just over three minutes to play, the Beavers could have easily pulled up, been happy with a 5-2 win Friday and settled for a split, but this BSU team has no quit. Matt Prapavessis breathed life back into the Beavers blasting his seventh goal of the season from the top of the left face-off circle at 16:55 to reel the nationally-ranked Falcons to within a goal. With just over a minute to play, the Beavers pulled their goaltender and the gamble paid off. At 19:05, Brendan Harms deposited a pass through a scrum in front of the net off the stick of Phillip Marinaccio for his seven goal of 2014-15 and knotted the score at 2-2.
The teams would trade blows in the five-minute overtime period, but the goaltenders were flawless and the teams would tie and share the WCHA standing points.
Without any offensive success in the first 55 minutes of play, Prapavessis finished the night with a goal and an assist.
BSU goalie Michael Bitzer allowed two goals early, but settled in, backstopped a penalty-kill unit that held BGSU scoreless on four power-play opportunities and finished the night with 23 saves. He moves to 8-7-2 overall.
With the tie, the Beavers move to 10-12-4 overall and 6-8-4 in conference action. The Beavers now embark on a four-game road swing through Michigan's Upper Peninsula. BSU will travel to Michigan Tech next weekend for a 6:07/4:07 p.m. series. February 13-14, the Beavers turn their focus to Northern Michigan.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota's wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men's and women's hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).
Bemidji State Notables:
- The victory marked the first time BSU has rattled off three straight wins over a nationally-ranked teams since the 2011-12 season. BSU defeated (13) Denver December 10 and swept (10) Colorado College Feb. 10-11.
- The Bowling Green and Bemidji State all-tie series is now tied at 4-4-0, and BSU is a perfect 4-0-0 when hosting the Falcons at Sanford Center.
- BSU is 4-8-1 versus nationally-ranked teams this season. In addition to No. 6 Bowling Green, wins include: at No. 2 North Dakota, Oct. 10; No. 7 Minnesota Duluth, Jan. 23 and No. 1 Minnesota State, Jan. 24.
- O'Connor netted his team-best ninth goal of the season-extending his career-best mark.
- O'Connor recorded the second multi-point game of his career.
- Following tonight's 2-2 tie, BSU is now 1-12-3 when scoring three or fewer and are 9-0-1 when netting four or more.
- BSU is 7-4-2 at home this season. That's BSU's most wins on home ice since an 11-6-1 mark at Sanford Center in 2011-12.
- The Beavers are 5-0-2 at Sanford Center since Nov. 29.
- Since Dec. 12, Michael Bitzer is 6-2-2 in 541 minutes played with a 1.29 goals against average, a .943 save percentage and leads the country with three shutouts during that span.
- The BSU power-play unit was 0-for-4 Saturday versus Bowling Green. The Beavers are now 15-for-96 (.156) on the man advantage this season.
- The BSU penalty-kill unit held the Falcons scoreless on all four of their power-play opportunities. BSU improves to 86-for-104 (.827) on the season.
- BSU has now snuffed out 40 of its opponents' last 44 power-play opportunities and the unit is .909 on the kill since Dec. 5.
- Tonight's game was the 100th in a BSU sweater for junior Cory Ward. Matt Prapavessis leads all BSU players with 137 collegiate games played.
- Tonight's game-tying goal was the first of sophomore Brendan Harm's collegiate career.
- BSU remains unbeaten in overtime games this season moving to 1-0-4 in OT in 2014-15.
- Tonight's comeback marked the first time in seven games that the Beavers have opened the third period trailing their opponents, that they have come back to gain a point (0-6-1).