|1st||11:04||FSU||1-0||EV||Zach Szajner (2)||Andrew Mayer/4, Mitch Maloney/4|
|2nd||15:07||FSU||2-0||EV GW||Ryan Lowney (2)||Andrew Dorantes/3, Gerald Mayhew/12|
|2nd||17:29||FSU||3-0||EV||Gerald Mayhew (11)||Dominic Panetta/5|
|3rd||13:24||BMJ||1-3||PP||Gerry Fitzgerald (7)||Leo Fitzgerald/8, Nate Arentz/11|
|3rd||17:49||FSU||4-1||EV EN||Kenny Babinski (7)||Justin Buzzeo/13, Chad McDonald/10|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Ferris State (17-19-2)||0/3||3/6||0|
|Bemidji State (16-16-5)||1/3||3/6||0|
|Ferris State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|C.J. Motte (W, 17-19-2)||60:00||1||9||5||7||21|
|Bemidji State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Michael Bitzer (L, 14-10-3)||59:01||3||2||7||6||15|
BEMIDJI, Minn. (Sanford Center) - The Bemidji State University men's hockey team dropped the opening game of its first round, best-of-three Western Collegiate Hockey Association playoff series against Ferris State University Friday, 4-1. Gerry Fitzgerald netted the lone goal for the Beavers.
In a fast-paced opening period, both teams struggled to gain offensive zone possession, but it was Ferris State that took an early 1-0 lead. Andrew Mayer found Zach Szajner on the left post for a tap in at the 11:04 mark.
Despite taking two penalties late, the Beavers finished the period with a 9-3 edge in shots on goal, but found themselves down 1-0 after 20 minutes of play.
Bemidji State seemed to gain momentum as the second period got underway, but the Bulldogs got goals from Ryan Lowney at the 15:07 mark and Gerald Mayhew with 91 seconds left in the frame to send BSU to the dressing room trailing 3-0.
BSU had offensive punch during spurts of the third period and was able to capitalize on it's final power-play opportunity of the night, getting a goal from Gerry Fitzgerald with 6:24 to play, but it was too little too late. Bemidji State pulled its goaltender with three minutes to play, but was unable to sustain offensive pressure and FSU's Kenny Babinski potted an empty-net goal to solidify the FSU victory.
Bemidji State and Ferris State will play game-two of the best-of-three series tomorrow. The opening face-off is set for 7:07 p.m. at Sanford Center.
Bemidji State notables:
- Bemidji State drops its first WCHA home playoff contest and moves 3-8 in the WCHA playoffs.
- The Beavers are 2-1 versus Ferris State in 2014-15 and is 6-11-1 all-time, which includes a 2-5-0 mark when hosting the Bulldogs.
- BSU has now lost consecutive games at home for the fist time since dropping back-to-back games to Michigan Tech, Nov. 15, and St. Cloud State, Nov. 28. The Beavers are now 10-6-2 at Sanford Center this season.
- Goaltender Michael Bitzer lost his first game on Sanford Center ice since a 6-3 loss to St. Cloud State Nov. 28, snapping a nine-game unbeaten streak (7-0-2) at home.
- Gerry Fitzgerald logged his seventh goal of the season and is now fourth on the team in scoring, leading all BSU rookies, with 19 points (7g-12a).
- Gerry Fitzgerald's goal came on the power-play and ended a streak of eight man advantage opportunities without a goal dating back to March 6.
- The BSU penalty-kill unit held FSU without a goal on three changes Friday, extending a streak of six games and 25 straight penalties killed.
- BSU is 10-8-1 on Friday's in 2014-15 and average 2.84 goals while allowing 2.32.
- BSU is 2-12-3 when its opponent scores first this season.