|1st||2:16||BMJ||1-0||EV||Markus Gerbrandt (2)||Ruslan Pedan/2, Graeme McCormack/1|
|1st||12:31||MIN||1-1||PP||Connor Reilly (2)||Travis Boyd/2, Mike Reilly/4|
|1st||15:07||MIN||2-1||EV||Kyle Rau (3)||Mike Reilly/5|
|2nd||10:50||BMJ||2-2||EV||Matt Prapavessis (1)||Nate Arentz/1, Myles Fitzgerald/1|
|2nd||12:45||BMJ||3-2||EV||Markus Gerbrandt (3)||-|
|2nd||16:40||MIN||3-3||EV||Justin Kloos (2)||Mike Reilly/6, Sam Warning/2|
|3rd||7:05||MIN||4-3||PP GW||Travis Boyd (3)||Kyle Rau/5, Taylor Cammarata/3|
|3rd||19:42||MIN||5-3||EV EN||Brady Skjei (1)||-|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Bemidji State (1-3-0)||0/3||5/10||0|
|Bemidji State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Andrew Walsh (L, 0-2-0)||59:03||4||13||2||10||25|
|Adam Wilcox (W, 4-0-0)||59:45||3||5||9||5||19|
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (Mariucci Arena) -- Markus Gerbrandt's second goal of the night gave the Bemidji State University men's hockey team a 3-2 lead midway the second period, but No. 1 University of Minnesota scored the final three goals of the game to earn a 5-3 nonconference victory and a series sweep Saturday at Mariucci Arena.
Travis Boyd led a group of four Minnesota players to post two points in the game, netting the game-winning goal and an assist in the contest.
For the second consecutive night, special teams play was the difference for the Gophers. Trailing 1-0 after Gerbrandt scored the game's first goal, Connor Reiley took advantage of a five-on-three opportunity to net his second goal of the year to tie the game at the 12:31 mark of the first. Kyle Rau scored at the 15:08 mark to give the Gophers a 2-1 lead to open second period.
Matt Prapavessis scored his first goal of the season just seven seconds after the Beavers' third power-play opportunity of the evening expired to knot the score at 2-2 midway through the second period and Gerbrandt's second tally of the night would supply Bemidji State with its second lead of the evening at the 12:45 mark, but Justin Kloos beat BSU's goaltender Andrew Walsh at the 16:40 mark to send the game into the final 20 minutes with the score tied 3-3.
The third period was controlled by Minnesota. The Gophers out shot the Beavers 12-5 in the frame and would cash in on their only man-advantage opportunity of the period at the 7:05 mark when Boyd grabbed the lead for Minnesota with his second goal of the season.
Minnesota would add an empty-net goal by Rau with 18 seconds to go to cement the victory.
The Gophers finished the game converting two of its four power-play opportunities, while BSU was 0-for-3.
Walsh turned aside 25 UM shots in the game, but surrendered four of Minnesota's goals and was pinned with the loss. He falls to 0-2-0 on the season.
The Beavers, now 1-1-0 on in 2014-15, open Western Collegiate Hockey Association play when they host University of Alaska Fairbanks (5-1-0; 0-0-0 WCHA) Oct. 31 and Nov. 1. The teams will get the series underway Friday at 7:37 p.m. and the finale is set for 7:07 p.m. Saturday. Both games will be played at Sanford Center.
Bemidji State men's hockey notes:
-Going 0-for-3 on the man advantage tonight, marked the Beavers' first game this season without a power-play goal.
- In a series that dates back to Oct. 14, 2000, Minnesota now holds a 18-1-1 advantage in the series and a 12-1-0 mark when hosting the Beavers.
- Brendan Harms was not in the line up tonight, marking the first time of his BSU career. He had played in 41 consecutive games.
- Bemidji State is 1-3-0 versus teams ranked among the nation's top 15 this season after splitting with then-no. 2 North Dakota Oct. 10-11 and being swept by (1) Minnesota. BSU was 1-8-3 versus the top 15 in 2013-14.
- Since 1999-2000, Bemidji State is 2-7-0 versus the nation's top team. The last time BSU handed a loss to a team ranked No. 1 was Oct. 7, 2011 versus then-No. 1 Miami. BSU won that game 5-3.
- BSU has now lost its last 11 games to Minnesota. It's last victory in the series came Nov. 15, 2009.
- Gerbrandt's two-goal game marks his first multi-goal game of the season and third of his career.
- Six different BSU players recorded at least a point in the game
- Markus Gerbrandt has scored in three of the Beavers' first four games of 2014-15 and leads the team with five points (3g-2a).
- Matt Prapavessis scored a goal in the game. The defender now has five points (1g-4a) in 10 career games versus the Gophers.
- Bemidji State is 1-2-0 on the road this season.
- Myles Fitzgerald logged the first assist of his collegiate career in the game. He leads all BSU newcomers with two points (1g-1a).
- Following the loss, BSU is 0-4-0 all-time versus teams hailing for the B1G conference. BSU's was also swept by Minnesota Oct. 18-19, 2013.