|1st||3:36||FSU||1-0||SH||Andrew Mayer (3)||-|
|1st||8:03||ALH||1-1||EV||Kurt Gosselin (5)||Hans Gorowsky/2, Max McHugh/5|
|1st||9:57||ALH||2-1||EV||Kurt Gosselin (6)||Cam Knight/7, Max McHugh/6|
|2nd||10:16||FSU||2-2||EV||Trevor Recktenwald (2)||Andrew Mayer/1, Nate Kallen/4|
|2nd||19:16||FSU||3-2||PP||Jason Tackett (1)||Andrew Dorantes/6, Jared VanWormer/4|
|3rd||3:39||ALH||3-3||EV||Kurt Gosselin (7)||Cam Knight/8, Max McHugh/7|
|3rd||5:22||ALH||4-3||EV GW||Hans Gorowsky (4)||Matt Salhany/4|
|3rd||19:47.8||ALH||5-3||EV EN||Cam Knight (3)||-|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Ferris State (5-10-1)||1/2||6/12||1|
|Alabama Huntsville (5-10-2)||0/5||3/6||0|
|Ferris State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Justin Kapelmaster (L, 5-1-0)||58:38||4||3||14||11||28|
|Alabama Huntsville Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jordan Uhelski (W, 3-3-2)||60:00||3||10||10||9||29|
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - Backed by the program's first hat trick since 2008 by Kurt Gosselin, The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team opened the weekend series against Ferris State with a 5-3 victory at the Von Braun Center on Saturday night. UAH improves to 5-10-2 (5-6-2 WCHA), while FSU dips to 5-9-1 (4-5-1 WCHA).
- After Gosselin sent in the game-tying and hat trick-sealing goal at 3:39 of the third, fellow sophomore Hans Gorowsky netted the game-winning marker at 5:22 of the final frame en route to the 5-3 victory in the opener.
Inside the Box Score
- Ferris State played from in front early into the game on Saturday night, as Andrew Mayer notched a shorthanded marker at 3:36 of the first for the 1-0 lead.
- Later on in the first, Gosselin tied the game at 1-1 at 8:03 with his first of the game - assisted by Gorowsky and Max McHugh - followed by his second of the period and the Chargers go-ahead goal at 9:57 for the 2-1 advantage.
- Following the first intermission, the score remained in favor of UAH until Trevor Recktenwald tied the game at 2-2 at 10:16 prior to the Bulldogs taking a 3-2 lead at 19:16 of the middle period by Jason Tackett on the power play.
- With Ferris State clinging to a 3-2 lead, Gosselin was able to find the back of the net for the third time of the game at 3:39 to tie the game at 3-3 with assists coming from Cam Knight and McHugh.
- After Gorowsky notched the game-winner, UAH was able to extend the lead to 5-3 over Ferris State with an empty-net goal by Knight at 19:48 of the third period to bring the game to its final score.
- Jordan Uhelski improves to 3-3-2 in goal after totaling 29 saves and three goals allowed.
- The Chargers amassed 33 shots on goal in the win, paced by Gorowsky's six shots on net.
- Both Knight and Brandon Parker tied for the team-high in blocks with three apiece.
- Gosselin's hat trick was the first by a Charger since Cale Tanaka netted a trio of goals on Feb. 1, 2008, and it's the first hat trick by a UAH defenseman since Shane Stewart on Jan. 2, 1999.
- Gosselin is the first defenseman with a hat trick in a game in NCAA Division I this season.
- The Brighton, Michigan, native has now scored a point in seven straight games, and has six goals and four assists for 10 points in that stretch dating back to Nov. 4 at Alaska Anchorage.
- McHugh's three-assist night was the first of his career, and was the third time this season he's had two or more assists.
- Knight has now registered back-to-back games with two assists, and his three points on one goal and two assists tonight are a career-best. He currently has 10 points on three goals and seven assists in his past eight games.
- This was the Chargers first win at home in the 2016-17 season, and was the third consecutive win over Ferris State after opening the season with a sweep at FSU on Oct. 1-2. Next Time Out
- The Chargers and Bulldogs will wrap up the weekend WCHA series on Sunday at 3:07 p.m. at the Von Braun Center.