|1st||6:02||MTU||1-0||EV||Mitch Reinke (3)||Cliff Watson/9, Gavin Gould/7|
|1st||9:03||MTU||2-0||EV||Thomas Beretta (2)||Gavin Gould/8|
|2nd||19:25||MTU||3-0||SH GW||Reid Sturos (5)||Mike Neville/6|
|3rd||6:58||MTU||4-0||PP||Gavin Gould (5)||Joel L'Esperance/8, Matt Roy/13|
|3rd||7:19||ALH||1-4||EV||Tyler Poulsen (1)||Madison Dunn/4, Max McHugh/9|
|3rd||14:40||ALH||2-4||EV||Jordan Larson (4)||Josh Kestner/13, Brandon Parker/6|
|3rd||18:41||MTU||5-2||SH EN||Reid Sturos (6)||-|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Michigan Tech (16-9-6)||1/4||6/12||2|
|Alabama Huntsville (7-18-2)||0/5||5/10||0|
|Michigan Tech Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Angus Redmond (W, 15-4-4)||60:00||2||6||1||8||15|
|Alabama Huntsville Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Matt Larose (L, 2-5-0)||59:40||4||11||13||12||36|
HUNTSVILLE | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team lost the Western Collegiate Hockey Association series opener by a final score of 5-2 on Friday night at Propst Arena at the Von Braun Center. UAH slips to 7-18-2 (7-12-2 WCHA), while MTU improves to 16-9-6 (13-3-5 WCHA).
- Despite the Chargers potting two goals in the third period, Michigan Tech's game-winning tally came at 19:25 of the second period when Reid Sturos gave the visitors a 3-0 lead prior to second intermission.
Inside the Box Score
- Michigan Tech was first on the board on Friday night as Mitch Reinke netted his third goal of the year at 6:02 of the opening period before Thomas Beretta made it a 2-0 Huskies advantage at 9:03 of the first.
- After Sturos netted a goal to put the Huskies up 3-0 in the second, Michigan Tech added to its lead off a marker by Gavin Gould which pushed the advantage to 4-0.
- UAH ended MTU's shutout bid at 7:19 of the third period on Tyler Poulsen's first goal of the season, thanks to assists by Madison Dunn and Max McHugh.
- The Chargers were again able to dig into the Huskies lead when Jordan Larson cut the advantage to 4-2 at 14:40 of the third period as Brandon Parker was credited with the lone assist on the play.
- However, UAH's rally would come up short at MTU rebounded to bring the game to its 5-2 final on an empty-net goal by Reid Sturos at 18:41 of the third period.
- UAH totaled 17 shots on goal in the contest, paced by John Teets and Jetlan Houcher with two shots on goal apiece.
- Senior Matt Larose took the loss to drop his season record to 2-5-0, recording 36 saves and four goals allowed along the way.
- Larose has totaled 30 saves or more on three occasions this season.
- Larson now has four goals on the season, which are the most for a UAH freshman in 2016-17.
Next Time Out
- UAH and Michigan Tech will wrap up the weekend series on Saturday night at 7:07 p.m. at the VBC.