|1st||4:39||COR||1-0||PP||Alec McCrea (1)||Beau Starrett/1|
|2nd||5:00||COR||2-0||PP GW||Trevor Yates (1)||Cam Donaldson/1, Anthony Angello/1|
|2nd||6:48||COR||3-0||EV||Morgan Barron (1)||Jared Fiegl/1|
|3rd||9:31||COR||4-0||EV||Jeff Malott (1)||Mitch Vanderlaan/1, Brenden Locke/1|
|3rd||16:03||COR||5-0||EV||Jeff Malott (2)||Cam Donaldson/2|
|3rd||16:52||ALH||1-5||EV||Brennan Saulnier (2)||Tyler Poulsen/2, Connor Merkley/2|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Alabama Huntsville (1-4-0)||0/5||4/8||0|
|Alabama Huntsville Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jordan Uhelski (L, 1-3-0)||60:00||5||6||12||8||26|
|Matthew Galajda (W, 1-0-0)||60:00||1||16||10||2||28|
ITHACA, N.Y. | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team dropped the nonconference series opener at Cornell by a final score of 5-1 on Friday night at Lynah Rink. UAH dips to 1-4-0, while CU starts the season 1-0-0.
- After Cornell took a 1-0 lead into first intermission, the Big Red continued to add to their advantage with two more tallies in the second period on the way to the 5-1 win over the Chargers in the opening matchup of the nonconference series.
- Cornell broke the scoreless tie at 4:39 of the first period on a tally by Alex McRea to take an early 1-0 lead.
- UAH would outshoot the hosts 16-7 in the opening frame, despite trailing 1-0 entering first intermission.
- The CU defense - which killed off a major penalty caused by a game misconduct to Noah Bauld in the first - limited the Chargers to zero goals in three power-play opportunities split between the first and second period which allowed the hosts to extend the lead to 3-0 on goals by Trevor Yates at 5:00 and Morgan Barron at 6:48 in the middle frame.
- The Big Red continued to add to its lead in the third period as Jeff Malott scored twice in the stanza at 9:31 and 16:03 to give the hosts a 5-0 advantage.
- UAH senior forward Brennan Saulnier ended Cornell's shutout bid with his second goal of the season at 16:52 of the third which would give the game its 5-1 final. Both Tyler Poulsen and Connor Merkley recorded their second assists of the season on the marker.
Inside the Box Score
- The Chargers totaled 29 shots on goal in the contest, led by Kurt Gosselin and Saulnier with five shots on goal each.
- Jordan Uhelski took the loss in goal to put his record at 1-3-0, despite totaling 26 saves.
- UAH was held 0-for-5 on the power play, while Cornell was 2-for-4 in man-advantage opportunities.
- Brandon Parker finished with a team-best four blocks.
- UAH won 29 of 62 total face-offs.
- Josh Kestner appeared in his 100th career game Friday night, giving the Chargers senior class four payers with 100 appearances which includes Kestner (100), Parker (110), Max McHugh (105) and Cody Champagne (101).
- Saulnier has recorded a point in each of the past three games and in four of the Chargers first five contests in 2017-18.
Next Time Out
- UAH wraps up the weekend series at Cornell Saturday at Lynah Rink at 6 p.m. CT.