|1st||10:32||ALH||1-0||PP||Kurt Gosselin (3)||Brennan Saulnier/3, Connor James/2|
|1st||14:52||ALH||2-0||EV||Christian Rajic (4)||Brandon Salerno/3, Tyler Poulsen/6|
|1st||18:06||ALH||3-0||EV||Brennan Saulnier (7)||Tyler Poulsen/7|
|1st||19:48||LSS||1-3||PP||Brayden Gelsinger (4)||J.T. Henke/14, Anthony Nellis/3|
|2nd||7:19||LSS||2-3||EV||Josh Nenadal (2)||Diego Cuglietta/5, Kyle Chatham/3|
|2nd||8:09||ALH||4-2||EV GW||Christian Rajic (5)||Madison Dunn/2, Connor James/3|
|2nd||9:54||ALH||5-2||EV||Christian Rajic (6)||Austin Beaulieu/3, Richard Buri/1|
|2nd||11:11||LSS||3-5||EV||Max Humitz (7)||Hampus Eriksson/3, Brayden Gelsinger/6|
|Lake Superior State||1||2||0||3|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Lake Superior State||11||12||21||44|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Lake Superior State (3-8-3)||1/6||4/8||0|
|Alabama Huntsville (4-7-1)||1/3||7/14||0|
|Lake Superior State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Nick Kossoff (L, 2-4-2)||29:41||5||8||10||0||18|
|Alabama Huntsville Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jordan Uhelski (W, 4-5-1)||60:00||3||10||10||21||41|
HUNTSVILLE | Backed by a hat trick from freshman Christian Rajic, The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team captured a 5-3 win over Lake Superior State on Saturday night at the Von Braun Center in the series finale of the two-game WCHA series. UAH improves to 4-7-1 (3-2-1 WCHA), while LSSU slips to 3-7-3 (2-3-3 WCHA).
- After taking a 3-1 lead into first intermission, UAH maintained its advantage as Christian Rajic scored two of his three goals of the night in the second period to keep pace with LSSU on the way to the 5-3 win for the Blue & White.
- UAH was first on the board on Saturday as Kurt Gosselin slapped a one-timer past LSSU goaltender Nick Kossoff at 10:32 of the opening period. Connor James and Brandon Salerno notched assists on the tally.
- Rajic scored his first goal of the game at 14:52 to make it a 2-0 UAH lead as he tipped in a pass right in front of the crease. Salerno registered his second helper of the game on the tally while Tyler Poulsen recorded his first of two assists.
- The Chargers went ahead 3-0 at 18:06 of the first when Brennan Saulnier ripped a successful one-timer off a feed from Poulsen who notched his second assist on the play.
- The Lakers would convert a power-play opportunity with a goal by Brayden Gelsinger late in the first at 19:48 to make it a 3-1 UAH lead heading into intermission.
- LSSU slimmed the UAH advantage to one goal at 7:19 of the second as Josh Nenadal scored for the Lakers, but the Chargers responded with Rajic's markers at 8:09 and 9:54 to go ahead 5-2 over the visitors.
- The Lakers went on to make it a 5-3 final as Max Humitz potted a goal at 11:11 of the second before a scoreless third capped off the contest.
Inside the Box Score
- The Chargers posted 34 shots on goal in the victory, led by Hans Gorowsky and Brennan Saulnier with five shots on goal apiece.
- Nine different Chargers had two shots on goal or more.
- UAH held LSSU to one goal in six power play chances, while going 1-for-3 in its own man-advantage opportunities.
- Jordan Uhelski improved to 4-5-1 in goal, after posting a game-high 41 saves including 21 key stops in the third period.
- The Blue & White blocked 22 shots during the game, paced by Cody Champagne who got in the way of five shots.
- Seven UAH players had positive ratings on the ice, led by Madison and Austin Beaulieu with +3 ratings.
- Rajic's hat trick is the first by a UAH freshman since Charger legend Jared Ross scored three against Bemidji State on March 9, 2002, and it is the first UAH hat trick since Kurt Gosselin's three-goal performance against Ferris State on Dec. 3, 2016.
- Poulsen has five assists in the past three games.
Next Time Out
- UAH welcomes Ferris State to the Von Braun Center for a two-game WCHA series next Friday and Saturday night. Puck drops at 7:07 p.m. for both games.