|2nd||0:12||NDM||1-0||PP||Bobby Nardella (1)||Cam Morrison/1, Jake Evans/1|
|2nd||0:48||ALH||1-1||EV||Tyler Poulsen (1)||Brennan Saulnier/1|
|2nd||3:01||NDM||2-1||EV||Colin Theisen (1)||Andrew Oglevie/1, Matt Hellickson/1|
|2nd||4:44||ALH||2-2||EV||Josh Kestner (1)||Hans Gorowsky/1, Levi Wunder/1|
|2nd||7:17||ALH||3-2||PP||Tyler Poulsen (2)||Josh Kestner/1, Cam Knight/1|
|2nd||18:30||NDM||3-3||EV||Dennis Gilbert (1)||Jordan Gross/1, Max Eisenmenger/1|
|3rd||5:50||NDM||4-3||PP GW||Jake Evans (1)||Jordan Gross/2, Andrew Oglevie/2|
|3rd||19:42||NDM||5-3||SH EN||Jake Evans (2)||Jordan Gross/3|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Alabama Huntsville (0-1-0)||1/5||5/10||0|
|Notre Dame (1-0-0)||2/5||5/10||1|
|Alabama Huntsville Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jordan Uhelski (L, 0-1-0)||58:54||4||16||8||11||35|
|Notre Dame Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Cale Morris (W, 1-0-0)||60:00||3||9||5||11||25|
NOTRE DAME, Ind. | Despite its highest scoring output in a season opener since 2009-10, The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team fell at No. 8 Notre Dame by a final score of 5-3 on Friday night at the Compton Family Ice Arena. UAH dips to 0-1-0, while UND starts the campaign 1-0-0.
- After each team potted three goals apiece in the second period to make it a 3-3 tie entering the third, Notre Dame pulled ahead at 5:50 of the final frame on a power-play tally by Jake Evans who also posted an empty-netter at 19:42 to give the hosts a 5-3 victory.
- Both teams went scoreless in the opening period as senior UAH goaltender Jordan Uhelski totaled 16 of his 35 saves on the night while the Charger offense put nine shots on UND goalie Cale Morris.
- After the first break, the Fighting Irish took the first lead 12 seconds into the second frame as Bobby Nardella converted a power-play opportunity.
- UAH quickly negated the advantage as Tyler Poulsen sent in a rebound 48 seconds into the second on an assist by Brennan Saulnier.
- UND regained the lead at 3:01 after Colin Theisen wristed a shot past Uhelski, but the Chargers responded at 4:44 as Josh Kestner tipped in a pass from Hans Gorowsky to knot the contest at 2-2. Levi Wunder also garnered an assist on the score.
- The Chargers took their first lead of the season at 7:17 as Poulsen scored his second of the game
- this time on the power play - to put UAH ahead 3-2, with Notre Dame later tying the game at 3-3 at 18:30 by Dennis Gilbert before heading into second intermission.
- UND notched the victory with its game-winner by Evans at 5:50 before Evans extended the lead to the eventual final of 5-3 with an empty-net goal at 19:42.
Inside the Box Score
- The Chargers had two players post two points in the contest as Poulsen posted two goals and Kestner notched a goal and an assist.
- A total of six players accumulated at least one point on the UAH roster.
- The Chargers and Fighting Irish each were penalized five times for a total of 10 penalty minutes apiece.
- UAH was 1-for-5 on the power play, while UND converted two of its five power-play chances.
- The Blue & White had a total of 28 shots on goal, paced by Kestner with five shots on target.
- Five Chargers finished with a +1 rating on the ice, including Cody Champagne, Wunder, Connor Merkley, Brandon Parker and Poulsen.
- Uhelski took the loss in goal to dip to 0-1-0 on the season, after totaling 35 saves and four goals allowed in the contest.
- This was the most goals in an opener by UAH since the squad posted three goals in the 2009-10 opener against Notre Dame on Oct. 9, 2009.
- The Chargers three goals in the second period is the first three-goal stanza by the team since Dec. 3, 2016 against Ferris State.
- Poulsen's two-goal performance is the second of his career, as the junior accomplished the feat on Feb. 11 of last season against Bemidji State.
Next Time Out
- UAH wraps up the season-opening series against Notre Dame at 6:05 p.m. CT on Saturday at the Compton Family Ice Arena.