|1st||15:47||NMU||1-0||SH||Zach Diamantoni (5)||Robbie Payne/8|
|2nd||8:47||NMU||2-0||PP||Joseph Nardi (7)||Darien Craighead/11, Ryan Black/14|
|2nd||15:36||ALH||1-2||PP||Hans Gorowsky (5)||Kurt Gosselin/8|
|2nd||18:34||NMU||3-1||PP||Mitchell Slattery (1)||Darien Craighead/12, Ryan Black/15|
|2nd||19:38||ALH||2-3||EV||Tyler Poulsen (7)||Kurt Gosselin/9|
|3rd||9:03||ALH||3-3||EV||Josh Kestner (18)||Hans Gorowsky/6|
|3rd||13:19||NMU||4-3||EV GW||Troy Loggins (16)||Adam Rockwood/26, Zach Diamantoni/13|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Northern Michigan (18-10-3)||2/4||6/12||1|
|Alabama Huntsville (9-18-2)||1/6||5/10||0|
|Northern Michigan Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Atte Tolvanen (W, 16-5-1)||59:57||3||3||8||1||12|
|Alabama Huntsville Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jordan Uhelski (L, 9-13-2)||58:30||4||11||13||7||31|
HUNTSVILLE | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team slipped in the WCHA series opener on Saturday afternoon at the Von Braun Center by a final score of 4-3 to No. 19 Northern Michigan. UAH dips to 9-18-2 (8-13-2 WCHA), while NMU rises to 18-10-3 (16-5-2 WCHA).
- With the score knotted at 3-3 late in the third period, Northern Michigan pulled ahead at 13:19 of the stanza on a goal by Troy Loggins on the way to the 4-3 victory over UAH on Saturday.
- The majority of the first period was quiet on the offensive end until Zach Diamontoni notched a shorthanded goal for the Wildcats at 15:47 to give the visitors the first lead.
- Northern Michigan added to its advantage in the second at 8:47 on a goal by Joseph Nardi.
- UAH jumped on the board at 15:36 as Hans Gorowsky netted his fifth of the year on the power play to slim the deficit to 2-1. Kurt Gosselin was credited with his eighth assist of 2017-18 on the play.
- NMU quickly regained its two-goal lead as Mitchel Slattery scored at 18:34, but the Chargers slimmed it back to a one-goal advantage at 3-2 on an unassisted marker by Tyler Poulsen - his seventh of the season - at 19:38.
- Huntsville native Josh Kestner evened the score at 3-3 as he ripped a shot past NMU goalie Atte Tolvanen directly off a face-off feed by Gorowsky at 9:03 of the frame.
- After over four minutes of scoreless play following Kestner's goal, NMU's Loggins scored the game-deciding goal at 13:19 to give the Wildcats the 4-3 win.
Inside the Box Score
- UAH posted 15 shots on goal in the contest, paced by Gorowsky with three shots on net.
- Christian Rajic and Brandon Salerno each had two shots on goal to follow Gorowsky.
- Jordan Uhelski took the loss in goal after allowing four goals and making 31 saves in the game.
- The UAH defense posted 11 blocks in game, led by Cody Champagne and Max McHugh with two apiece.
- UAH went 1-for-7 on the power play, while NMU had two successes in four man-advantage chances.
- Kestner is now in sole possession of first in the league with 18 goals in his senior season.
- Uhelski has totaled 30 or more saves in three consecutive games.
Next Time Out
- UAH and NMU wrap up the two-game series on Sunday at 2:07 p.m.