|1st||5:49||MNS||1-0||PP||Parker Tuomie (1)||C.J. Suess/3|
|2nd||3:24||BGS||1-1||EV||Cameron Wright (3)||Shane Bednard/1, Max Johnson/4|
|2nd||18:15||MNS||2-1||PP GW||Zeb Knutson (2)||Marc Michaelis/3, Daniel Brickley/4|
|3rd||8:05||MNS||3-1||EV||Connor Mackey (1)||Brad McClure/2, Jared Spooner/1|
|3rd||12:16||MNS||4-1||PP||C.J. Suess (2)||Parker Tuomie/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Minnesota State (3-1-0)||3/6||7/14||0|
|Bowling Green (1-3-0)||0/6||7/14||0|
|Minnesota State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Connor LaCouvee (W, 2-0-0)||60:00||1||6||4||6||16|
|Bowling Green Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Eric Dop (L, 1-1-0)||60:00||4||12||10||8||30|
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - The 2017-18 Western Collegiate Hockey Association opener did not go as planned for the Bowling Green State University hockey team, as the Falcons fell in a 4-1 decision to Minnesota State. The contest was held on Friday evening (Oct. 20) at the Slater Family Ice Arena. BGSU evened the game early in the second period on Cameron Wright's third goal, but the Mavericks broke the tie with 1:45 left in the second period and scored three times in the third to ice the game. Bowling Green drops to 1-3-0 overall (0-1-0 WCHA).
- Freshman forward Cameron Wright scored his team-best third goal of the season 3:24 into the second period. Shane Bednard took the puck in the left corner and dished a pass behind the net to a waiting Max Johnson. Johnson fed Wright, who took a shot from the slot and buried past the glove of Connor LaCouvee. The score tied the game at 1-1.
- Freshman netminder Eric Dop started his second career game and established a new personal best with 30 saves. In those two contests, he has saved 57 of 62 shots for a save percentage of .919.
- Freshman forward Max Johnson posted an assist on Wright's goal with a beautiful pass from behind the net. He already has four assists in four career games and three in his two contests at home.
- Junior forward Shane Bednard added the second assist on Wright's second period score. It is his first point of the 2017-18 season and gives him 11 career assists.
- Cameron Wright took three of the Falcons' 17 shots and now leads the team with 12. Mitch McLain, Tyler Spezia, John Schilling, and Adam Smith each took two.
- The Falcons blocked 10 Mavericks shot attempts. Connor McDonald, Carson Musser, and Lukas Craggs led the team with two apiece.
- Connor Ford won eight out of 13 faceoffs and tied for the Falcons' lead in the category. Brett d'Andrea also won eight, as the Falcons took a total of 29.
- BGSU was out-shot 34-17 overall. The Falcons were 0-for-6 on the power play, while Minnesota State was 3-for-6 with the man advantage.
Bowling Green seeks to split its weekend series against Minnesota State tomorrow night at the Slater Family Ice Arena. Puck drop for the finale against the Mavericks will be at 7:07 p.m., and fans are encouraged to wear pink for "Pink the Rink" night, as BGSU spotlights to ongoing fight against breast cancer.