|1st||8:14||BGS||1-0||PP||Stephen Baylis (1)||Alec Rauhauser/2, Brandon Kruse/1|
|1st||9:43||BGS||2-0||EV GW||Frédéric Létourneau (1)||Stephen Baylis/1, Max Johnson/2|
|1st||9:55||BGS||3-0||EV||Cameron Wright (2)||Max Johnson/3, Sam Craggs/1|
|2nd||3:58||MSU||1-3||PP||Taro Hirose (1)||Mitchell Lewandowski/1, Cody Milan/1|
|3rd||8:44||BGS||4-1||PP||Connor Ford (1)||Mitchell McLain/1, Jacob Dalton/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Michigan State (0-1-0)||1/4||6/15||0|
|Bowling Green (1-1-0)||2/7||4/8||0|
|Michigan State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Ed Minney (L, 0-1-0)||9:55||3||7||0||0||7|
|Bowling Green Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Eric Dop (W, 1-0-0)||60:00||1||8||11||8||27|
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - In its home opener, the Bowling Green hockey program (1-1-0, 0-0-0 WCHA) downed former CCHA rival Michigan State (0-1-0, 0-0-0 Big Ten) with a 4-1 victory at the Slater Family Ice Arena. The homecoming weekend matchup is the first of a home-and-home series between the teams, and showcased a strong group of underclassmen from the Bowling Green squad.
- Stephen Baylis opened the scoring 8:14 into the game with a near-side rebound on the power play. A native of Ottawa, Ontario, the goal marks Baylis' first of the season, and was assisted by sophomore Alec Rauhauser and freshman Brandon Kruse.
- The Falcons continued to reign in the offensive zone as sophomore Frederic Letourneau scored from the slot just 1:29 later. Baylis wrapped around the back of the net and dumped the puck in the corner for freshman Max Johnson to pick up and backhand to Letourneau for the Falcons 2-0 lead.
- An all-freshman line of Cam Wright, Sam Craggs and Johnson combined for a third Bowling Green goal in under two minutes, when Johnson passed from behind the net to Wright awaiting the puck in the slot. Three goals in a 1:41 span put the Falcons up with a 3-0 lead just 9:55 into the game, forcing the Spartans to change out goaltenders.
- Freshman Connor Ford picked up his first collegiate goal with 11:16 remaining with a tip of the puck. The puck was passed across the blue line from sophomore Jacob Dalton before a point shot was taken by senior Mitch McLain, where Ford tipped the puck down low at the crease to put the Falcons up 4-1 on the power play.
- Freshmen Connor Ford tallied his first career goal, while goaltender Eric Dop earned his first career win in net with 27 saves.
- With a pair of assists, freshman Max Johnson had a two-point night and went a team-leading plus-two on the ice, while sophomore Stephen Baylis marked his ninth career multi-point night with the opening goal, paired with an assist.
- Overall, 10 different Falcons appeared on the box score with a hand in scoring plays, while 13 tallied at least one shot on goal. Baylis led the Bowling Green squad with five shots on net of the Falcons 28 on the night.
- Bowling Green went 2-for-7 on the power play, in addition to 3-for-4 on the penalty kill. The Falcons generated 10 of its 28 shots with the man advantage.
- The pair of non-conference rivals were square in shots on goal at 28 apiece, after the Falcons tallied a game-high of 12 in the opening period. Michigan State responded with 12 in the second period, while the duo each marked eight in the final stanza.
- Starting the 2017-18 campaign strong is Johnson and Rauhauser, who are now on a two-game point streak, while Wright is on a two-game scoring streak.
- The Falcons will now travel to East Lansing, Mich. to complete the home-and-home series with the Spartans tomorrow, in a 7:05 p.m. puck drop at Munn Ice Arena.