HUNTSVILLE | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie and picked up an extra WCHA point in the 3-on-3 overtime period on Friday night at the Von Braun Center to open a two-game series against visiting Northern Michigan. UAH moves to 6-23-2 (6-15-2 WCHA), while NMU stands at 14-13-1 (13-7-1 WCHA).
- Northern Michigan evened the score with less than six minutes remaining in regulation to force overtime, where both teams skated scoreless to bring the game to a 2-2 tie. UAH went on to pick up an additional WCHA point in the 3-on-3 overtime period.
- Jack Jeffers put the Chargers on the board early by sending a wrist shot to the top shelf at 1:44 of the second period, thanks to an assist by Hans Gorowsky.
- Brandon Salerno extended the Chargers lead to 2-0 at the 4:05 mark of the second as he and Gorowsky has a successful give-and-go in front of the crease to beat NMU goalie Atte Tolvanen.
- Northern Michigan converted on the power play at 5:12 of the second on a goal by Troy Loggins to cut the Chargers lead 2-1 entering second intermission.
- The Wildcats evened the contest at 2-2 on Ty Readman's tally at 14:26 of the third period to force overtime.
- Both sides went scoreless in the overtime period to make it officially a 2-2 tie, but UAH notched the extra WCHA point in the 3-on-3 overtime 36 seconds in as Cam Knight sent in his own rebound on a breakaway.
Inside the Box Score
- Mark Sinclair was sensational in goal for the Chargers with a total of 42 saves in the tie, including a game-high 18 saves in the pivotal second period.
- Sinclair's record now stands at 4-15-2.
- UAH totaled 25 shots on goal against NMU, led by Jeffers with four shots on target.
- Gorowsky, Christian Rajic, and Salerno rated second on the roster with three shots on goal.
- Gorowsky, Kurt Gosselin and Adam Wilcox tied for the team lead in blocks with three apiece.
- UAH went 32-for-61 on face-offs.
- UAH has now picked up two overtime WCHA points this season, after notching a shootout win earlier this season on Jan. 12 at Lake Superior State.
- Sinclair has totaled 40 or more saves three times this season.
- With two assists tonight, Gorowsky now leads the roster with 15 points on eight goals and seven assists. His 15 points this season are a career-high for the senior.
Next Time Out
- UAH and Northern Michigan wrap up the two-game series on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. at the VBC. The Chargers will honor the program's 2018-19 senior class prior to the matchup.