HUNTSVILLE | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team wrapped up the 2018-19 regular season home slate with a 6-3 loss to Northern Michigan on Saturday afternoon at the Von Braun Center. UAH dips to 6-24-2 (6-16-2 WCHA), while NMU rises to 15-13-1 (14-7-1 WCHA).
- After UAH and NMU each scored a goal in the first period to make it a 1-1 tie, the Wildcats pulled ahead in the second period outscoring the Chargers 3-1 in the frame on the way to a 6-3 win on Saturday.
- UAH took the first lead at 5:56 of the first period when Connor James wristed in a shot from the point, thanks to assists from Christian Rajic and Madison Dunn.
- Northern Michigan evened the score at 1-1 at 7:33 of the first on a marker by Vincent de Mey, and the Wildcats went on to take a 2-1 lead at 4:02 of the second on Griffin Loughran's tally.
- The Chargers tied it up at 2-2 at 6:04 of the second on the power play as back-to-back passes led to a one-timer goal by Hans Gorowsky, with Austin Beaulieu and Bauer Neudecker picking up assists on the score.
- NMU turned in a pair of unanswered goals to close out the second period at 16:35 by Tony Bretzman and 19:14 by Jarrett Lee to make it a 4-2 Wildcats lead.
- James scored for the second time at the 8:39 mark of the third period on a power play to slim the NMU lead to 4-3, but the Wildcats' Denver Pierce scored twice down the stretch at 13:11 and 19:36 to bring the game to its 6-3 final in favor of the visitors.
Inside the Box Score
- Two Chargers finished with two points in the game, including James with two goals and Dunn with a pair of assists.
- Seven UAH players had at least one point in the contest.
- The Chargers totaled 27 shots on goal against the Wildcats, paced by Gorowsky and James with five shots on goal apiece.
- Jake Theut took the loss in goal with five goals allowed, despite accruing 34 saves on the night.
- UAH went 33-for-53 in the face-off circle, with Gorowsky owning a team-high 13 face-off wins.
- The Chargers went 2-for-5 in power-play chances.
- Drew Lennon posted a team-high four blocks, as UAH totaled 15 as a team in the contest.
- With one assist today, Jack Jeffers is now tied for second on the roster with 13 points on seven goals and six assists.
- UAH has scored two or more power-play goals in a game three times this season, which all occurred at home.
- James registered his first career two-goal performance.
Next Time Out
- UAH is away from competition next weekend, as the Chargers look ahead to a two-game series at Ferris State on Feb. 22-23.