BURLINGTON, Vt. | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team dropped a nonconference matchup against No. 11 Northeastern by a score of 2-0 on Saturday afternoon at Gutterson Fieldhouse to wrap up play at the TD Bank Catamount Cup hosted by Vermont. UAH dips to 3-17-0, while NU improves to 12-3-1.
- Northeastern was on the board first at the 6:19 mark of the opening period on a goal by Matt Filipe, and the Huskies would not look back as they went on to win 2-0 over UAH on Saturday in a matinee matchup.
- The Huskies took a 1-0 lead early into the first period at 6:19 on Filipe's marker, but were held scoreless to close out the period and for the duration of the second period thanks to Jake Theut's 23 saves during the two stanzas.
- Just after a successful penalty kill by the Chargers in the third period, Northeastern's Austin Plevy scored at 10:37 of the frame to put the Huskies ahead 2-0.
Inside the Box Score
- Theut finished the game with a total of 41 saves against his former squad, posting a game-high 18 stops in the third period.
- The senior netminder had 10 or more saves in each of the three periods, while helping UAH hold NU to zero goals in four power-play opportunities.
- The Chargers totaled 13 shots on goal in the loss, led by Austin Beaulieu with four shots on goal.
- UAH went 23-for-53 in the face-off circle.
- Theut - who was a member of the NU program for four seasons - has posted 40 or more saves in four of his seven appearances in goal this season.
- Two of his 40-save performances have come against nationally-ranked opponents, after putting up 43 saves against No. 10 Denver on Oct. 13.
- UAH has held the opposition to zero power-play goals in 13 contests.
- The Chargers have killed off eight straight penalties dating back to Michigan Tech on Dec. 15.
Next Time Out
- UAH returns to action next Friday (Jan. 4) and Saturday (Jan. 5) at the Von Braun Center for a two-game Western Collegiate Hockey Association series against Ferris State.