- Opening Faceoff Continues: The WCHA is launching a new yearly rivalry series during the 2019-20 season. The series will highlight the biggest matchups in the top league in all of NCAA women's hockey.
- The 2019 Opening Faceoff continues with Minnesota State traveling to St. Cloud State as the Mavericks and Huskies go head-to-head in St. Cloud, Minn. St. Cloud State holds a 41-33-15 series advantage so the competition will be fierce when the two meet.
- Polling Place: At the close of Week 3, the WCHA is still the most-represented conference in both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Polls with three ranked teams and two teams receiving votes on each list. Wisconsin and Minnesota maintain their respective No. 1 and No. 2 rankings on both polls while Ohio State earns the No. 9 spot in the USCHO poll and the No. 8 spot in the USA list. Minnesota Duluth and Bemidji State each received votes in both polls, marking the first appearance of Bemidji State on either poll.
By the Numbers
- 89: Meetings between Minnesota State and St. Cloud State all-time prior to this weekend. St. Cloud leads the series 41-33-15.
- 80: Shots on goal for Wisconsin during Saturday's contest against LIU, which set a new WCHA record.
- 21: Blocked shots so far this season for Ohio State's Jincy Dunne.
- 15: Points over the last 10 games for Minnesota Duluth's Gabbie Hughes. The forward has collected seven goals and eight assists for the 15 points.
- 10: Points for the Minnesota line of Taylor Heise (1g-2a), Alex Woken (1g-2a), and Grace Zumwinkle (1g-3a) in the series sweep of St. Cloud State.
- 4: Goals scored by Bemidji State's Haley Mack this weekend, leading the Beavers to a series sweep of Minnesota Duluth. Mack's performance earned her WCHA Forward of the Week honors.
- 3.12: Points per game for Wisconsin's Daryl Watts, who leads the NCAA in the category.
The Week Ahead
- League Series: Three WCHA series are slated to take place in Week 4 as Minnesota State heads to St. Cloud State, 2/2 Minnesota travels to 9/8 Ohio State and Bemidji State visits 1/1 Wisconsin in Madison.
- The Mavericks and Huskies are featured in the third weekend of the 2019 Opening Faceoff, highlighting the ongoing rivalry between the programs.
- Undefeated Minnesota matches up against Ohio State at the OSU Ice Rink as the Buckeyes look to gain league points after the team ceded four points to Minnesota State last weekend.
- After sweeping Minnesota Duluth last weekend, Bemidji State takes on top-ranked Wisconsin on the road. Wisconsin looks to continue its eight-game unbeaten streak.
- Nonconference Contest: Minnesota Duluth heads to Buffalo, NY for the Ice Breaker Tournament. The Bulldogs play Mercyhurst for the first time since the 2009 season Friday, a team that UMD is 4-1-1 against all-time. UMD will meet either UConn or Colgate on Saturday in the second game of the tournament.