- Opening Faceoff Continues: The WCHA is launching a new yearly rivalry series during the 2019-20 season. The series will highlight the biggest matchups in the top league in all of NCAA women's hockey.
- The 2019 Opening Faceoff continues with Minnesota Duluth traveling to Bemidji State as the Bulldogs and Beavers go head-to-head in Bemidji, Minn. Minnesota Duluth has a 8-6-0 record against Bemidji State since the 2017-18, so the competition will be fierce when the two meet.
- Polling Place: At the close of Week 3, the WCHA is still the most-represented conference in both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Polls with four teams on each list. Wisconsin and Minnesota maintain their respective No. 1 and No. 2 rankings on both polls while Ohio State and Minnesota Duluth trade places, dropping the Buckeyes to No. 9 and promoting the Bulldogs to No. 8 on both polls.
By the Numbers
- 121: Career points for Minnesota's Sarah Potomak. She ranks 21st in Gophers' history with her 51 goals and 91 assists, and she only needs five more points to move into 19th in Minnesota's all-time standings.
- 43: Saves made by Minnesota State's Abigail Levy during the Mavericks overtime loss to Minnesota Duluth this past Friday. Her 43 saves gives Levy a new career-high.
- 42: Meetings in Bemidji, Minn. between Minnesota Duluth and Bemidji State since 1999. The two teams are set to add two more to the tally in this weekend's Opening Faceoff.
- 16: Blocked shots this season for Ohio State's Jincy Dunne. The senior defenseman has had six games to earn her total.
- 7: Goals scored by the St. Cloud State Huskies this past weekend during the team's sweep of RIT. Klára Hymlárová, Olivia Cvar, Emma Bigham, Hallie Theodospoulos and Abby Thiessen recorded goals for St. Cloud.
- 5: Points from two goals and three assists on the weekend for Minnesota Duluth's Sydney Brodt, . The forward registered points in all four games for the Bulldogs so far this season.
- 3: Shutouts so far this season for Wisconsin's Kristen Campbell, which leads the NCAA.
The Week Ahead
- League Series: Three WCHA series are slated to take place in Week 4 as Minnesota Duluth travels to Bemidji State, St. Cloud State visits 2/2 Minnesota and 8/8 Ohio State hits the road to play Minnesota State.
- The Bulldogs and Beavers are featured in the second weekend of the 2019 Opening Faceoff, highlighting the ongoing rivalry between the programs. Minnesota Duluth has a 8-6-0 record against Bemidji Statev over the past two season, so the competition will be fierce.
- St. Cloud State arrives in Minneapolis coming off a series sweep of RIT. Undefeated Minnesota welcomes the Huskies as both teams look to extend their unbeaten streaks this weekend.
- Both Ohio State and Minnesota State come into this weekend's matchup looking for a victory after being swept by fellow WCHA teams (1/1 WIsconsin and then-9/9 Minnesota Duluth).
- Nonconference Contest: 1/1 Wisconsin heads out east to take on the LIU Sharks this weekend in Long Island. UW and LIU will meet on Friday in a 2 p.m. CT contest at the IceWorks Arena before wrapping up their series on Saturday with a 4:30 p.m. CT game that will be held at historic Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, the home of the New York Islanders.