- Regular Season In Full Swing: After an undefeated regular-season opening weekend for WCHA teams, two league series are set to take place in Week 2. Additionally, three schools will face off against nonconference opponents in series versus Lindenwood, No. 3/3 Clarkson and Penn State.
- Polling Place: With Week 1 compete, all four ranked WCHA teams maintained their spots on the Sept. 30 USCHO Poll as Minnesota Duluth stayed at No. 10, Ohio State kept the No. 9 spot, Minnesota remained ranked No. 2 and Wisconin maintains their unanimous No. 1 selection. The Oct. 1 USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Poll included saw Ohio State move up one spot to No. 8 and Minnesota Duluth, who received votes in the preseason poll, crack the Top 10 as they slid into the tenth spot. Minnesota and Wisconsin remained at No. 2 and No. 1, respectively.
By The Numbers
- 44: Goals scored by WCHA teams during the weekend of Sept. 27-28. Wisconsin and Minnesota posted 10 apiece, Minnesota State and Ohio State each added seven, Bemidji State put up five, St. Cloud State scored three and Minnesota Duluth rounded out the league with two goals on the weekend.
- 41: Saves along with two wins for Ohio State's Andrea Braendli in the Buckeyes' series against St. Lawrence.
- 27: Saves between the pipes for Minnesota State's goaltending tandem of Abigail Levy and Calla Frank who combined to lead the Mavericks to a series sweep and two-game shutout of RPI.
- 19: Letterwinners returning to the ice for the Bemidji State Beavers who open their regular season with a series against Lindenwood at home on Friday and Saturday.
- 7: Players for St. Cloud State picked up points in the Huskies' exhibition victory over Regina. Klára Hymlárová led the team with one goal and one assist for two points.
- 5: Goals scored on the power play by Wisconsin in the Badgers' sweep of Lindenwood. Daryl Watts put two in the back of the net while Sophie Shirley, Abby Roque and Britta Curl each contributed one to the Badger total.
- 3: Gophers posted a pair of goals in Minnesota's 8-1 victory over Colgate on Saturday night. Taylor Heise, Olivia Knowles and Grace Zumwickle each tallied two goals in the contest.
- 2: WCHA teams have tested out the new 3-on-3 overtime format as Minnesota Duluth tested out the period against the Minnesota Whitecaps on Saturday. The Minnesota Gophers tried out 3-on-3 last weekend in their exhibition against the NWHL team.
The Week Ahead
- League Play Begins: This weekend marks the first set of conference contests for WCHA teams as Minnesota faces off against Minnesota State in Mankato, Minn. and Ohio State heads to St. Cloud, Minn. to take on the Huskies.
- Nonconference Matchups:
- Two Top 10 teams are set to compete with No. 3 Clarkson traveling to No. 10 Minnesota Duluth this weekend. This series marks the only competition between two top-ranked programs the opening weekend of October.
- The Wisconsin women's hockey team will host Penn State this weekend at LaBahn Arena in the first-ever meeting between the two Big Ten Conference rivals. Puck drop on Friday and Saturday is set for 7 p.m. and Friday's contest can be seen live on Fox Sports Wisconsin.
- Bemidji State welcomes Lindenwood who was swept by Wisconsin this past weekend. The series begins regular-season play for the Beavers who are fresh off a 5-1 exhibition win over Regina.