Updates Around The League
- NCAA Stars of the Week: After a six-point performance against Minnesota State this past weekend, Wisconsin senior forward Abby Roque was selected at the NCAA First Star of the Week. This is the second-such selection for the WCHA season as Minnesota's Grace Zumwinkle earned an NCAA Third Star of the Week nod earlier in 2019-20.
- WCHA in the Top 10: The Minnesota Golden Gophers remain the unanimous No. 1 in both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls heading into Week 9. In addition to Minnesota claiming the top spot, three WCHA school also rank within both sets of Top 10 rankings. Wisconsin sits at No. 2, Ohio State remains No. 7, and Minnesota Duluth rounds out both polls at No. 10.
- West is Best: For the second consecutive week, WCHA teams sit atop the pair of national polls on both the women's and the men's side. Representing the WCHA, Minnesota State men's hockey team claims the No. 1 spot for the second week in a row. The women's league of the WCHA has yet to see a team outside the league earn the top spot as Wisconsin sat at No. 1/1 for six weeks while Minnesota has kept the top spot for the past three.
By the Numbers
- 296: Saves this season by Ohio State netminder Andrea Braendli. The Buckeye goaltender leads the league in total saves.
- 237: Shots blocked by Minnesota State. The Mavericks lead the WCHA and rank second in the nation in blocks.
- 153: Career points for Minnesota redshirt-senior forward Sarah Potomak after the Gophers' sweep of Bemidji State. She is Minnesota's active career scoring leader, ranked 18th in Gophers' history with 153 career points (56g-97a).
- 83: Previous meetings for Bemidji State and Minnesota State. The Beavers and the Mavericks will face off for the 84th and 85th contests between the two teams this weekend.
- 34: Points on the season for Wisconsin's Daryl Watts. The junior forward has racked up 12 goals and 22 assists in 14 games.
- 9: Points scored by a pair of St. Cloud State Huskies. Senior defenseman Abby Thiessen (4g-5a) and freshman forward Klára Hymlárová (2g-7a) share the team lead in points.
- 7: Career games with 40-plus saves against Minnesota for Minnesota Duluth's Maddie Rooney. The senior goaltender looks to add an eighth such game as the Bulldogs face the Gophers this weekend.
The Week Ahead
- League Series: Three WCHA series are slated to take place in Week 9 as Minnesota heads to Minnesota Duluth, Bemidji State travels to Minnesota State, and St. Cloud State welcomes Wisconsin.
- Top 10 Matchup: The top-ranked Golden Gophers travel to Duluth, Minn. to take on the No. 10/10 ranked Bulldogs at AMSOIL Arena. The series between Minnesota and Minnesota Duluth is one of three top-10 contests nationally this weekend.
- 2/2 Wisconsin hits the road as the Badgers head to St. Cloud, Minn. for a weekend series against the Huskies.
- Minnesota State welcomes Bemidji State as the Mavericks both teams look to bounce back from last weekend's matchups against Wisconsin and Minnesota, respectively.
- Nonconference Contest: The Buckeyes head out to Hamilton, N.Y. this weekend as Ohio State visits Colgate for a non-conference series. The WCHA is 8-1-0 against ECAC teams this season and 2-0-0 on the road against ECAC foes.