Updates Around The League
- Heading Outdoors for Hockey Day Minnesota: No. 5/5 Ohio State will face No. 1/1 Minnesota at Parade Stadium in Minneapolis for Hockey Day Minnesota at 4:30 p.m. CT Saturday, Jan. 18 to celebrate the State of Hockey. Former WCHA standouts Krissy Wendell and Gigi Marvin will be in the booth as their alma mater Gophers takes on the Buckeyes.
- WCHA Battle for the Top: Minnesota regained the top spot in the women's college hockey rankings, claiming No. 1 in both the USCHO and the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Poll. Wisconsin dropped to No. 2 in each list after dropping a 3-2 decision to Bemidji State Saturday, Jan. 11.
- WCHA in the Top 10: In addition to the top-spot competition between the Badgers and Gophers, two other league teams claim top-10 rankings. Ohio State sits at No. 5 in both the USCHO rankings and the USAT/USAH Poll. Minnesota Duluth remains No. 10 on each list. After upsetting then-No. 1/1 Wisconsin, Bemidji State has begun receiving votes in both polls, tallying two in the USCHO and five in the USAT/USAH Poll.
By the Numbers
- 99: Previous meetings between Bemidji State and Minnesota Duluth. The Beavers and Bulldogs meet this weekend for the 100th and 101st contests in the all-time series between the two teams.
- 66: Combined stops for the Minnesota State goaltending tandem of Abigail Levy and Calla Frank in the series against Ohio State this past weekend.
- 58: Saves made by Bemidji State's Lauren Bench in the series with then-No. 1/1 Wisconsin. The BSU netminder fended off the nation's best scoring offense to lead her team to a 3-2 upset win on Saturday.
- 27: Power-play goals for Wisconsin this season. The Badgers' total ranks second in the nation.
- 22: Blocked shots by St. Cloud State last weekend in the league series against Minnesota. The Huskies recorded 14 blocks on Friday and eight on Saturday, with Olivia Hanson owning five of the team's total.
- 17: Goals for Ohio State's Liz Schepers in 2019-20. The junior forward leads the Buckeyes in goals scored.
- 8: Game point streak for Minnesota's Grace Zumwinkle. The junior forward has nine points (5g-4a) in the team's last eight contests.
- 7: Goals this season for Minnesota Duluth's Ashton Bell. The junior blueliner leads all WCHA defensemen in goals scored in 2019-20.
Up Next in the WCHA
- St. Cloud State at Minnesota State: The Huskies visit Mankato, Minn. to take on the Mavericks for the second time this season. MSU took both games in the previous league series between the two teams.
- RV/RV Bemidji State at 10/10 Minnesota Duluth: The Bulldogs return from a week off of competition to welcome the Beavers to Duluth. Earlier this season, Bemidji State swept Minnesota Duluth in Bemidji during the 2019 Opening Faceoff series and UMD defeated BSU in the 2020 Minnesota Cup championship game to claim the tournament title.
- 5/5 Ohio State at 1/1 Minnesota: The Buckeyes head to Minneapolis for the first game of the weekend series against top-ranked Minnesota before both teams move across town to play the final game of the weekend series outdoors at Parade Stadium for Hockey Day Minnesota.