Updates Around The League
- Bulldogs Boast Minnesota Cup Victory: Minnesota Duluth emerged as the 2020 Minnesota Cup champions after defeating Bemidji State, 2-0, in the championship game on Sunday, Jan. 5. The Bulldogs outlasted Minnesota State the day prior scoring the go-ahead goal in 3-on-3 overtime to break the 2-2 stalemate. Sophomore forward Gabbie Hughes was selected as the tournament's Most Outstanding Player and joined teammate Ashton Bell (defenseman) on the all-tournament team. Minnesota State's Claire Butorac (forward) and Jessica Kondas (defenseman), Bemidji State's Abby Halluska (forward) and St. Cloud State's Emma Polusny (goaltender) filled out the rest of the all-tournament squad.
- WCHA Battle for the Top: Wisconsin continues its reign as the top-ranked team in the nation in both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Polls while Minnesota sits at No. 2 in both polls.
- WCHA in the Top 10: In addition to the top-spot competition between the Badgers and Gophers, two other league teams claim top-10 rankings. Ohio State sits at No. 5 in both the USCHO rankings and the USAT/USAH Poll. Minnesota Duluth remains No. 10 on each list.
By the Numbers
- 356: Shots blocked by Minnesota State this season. The Mavericks pace the WCHA and rank second in the nation in shot blocking.
- 86: Previous meetings between Bemidji State and Wisconsin. The Beavers and Badgers meet this weekend for the 87th and 88th contest in the all-time series between the two teams.
- 82: Saves made by St. Cloud State's Emma Polusny in the Minnesota Cup. The Huskies netminder posted a .965 save percentage over the weekend and was named to the all-tournament team for her performance.
- 50: Career points for Minnesota's Amy Potomak after the sophomore forward tallied three points in the Gophers' series against Yale this past weekend. Potomak has recorded 19 goals and 31 assists in her time at Minnesota and is the fifth of her teammates to reach the half-century mark in 2019-20.
- 28: Saves to surpass Minnesota Duluth's program record of career saves for Bulldog netminder Maddie Rooney. The senior goaltender boasts 2971 career stops and must hit 2999 to own the record outright.
- 5: Points earned in one game by Tatum Skaggs last time Ohio State took to the ice. Only two other WCHA skaters have collected five points in a game this season (Wisconsin's Daryl Watts and Mekenzie Steffen).
Up Next in the WCHA
- Minnesota State at 5/5 Ohio State: The Mavericks head to Columbus, Ohio to face the Buckeyes for the third time this season. Both previous meetings saw the teams force overtime with Minnesota State emerging with an extra league point from a 3-on-3 overtime win.
- 2/2 Minnesota at St. Cloud State: Minnesota is on an NCAA-best 12-game unbeaten streak heading into the weekend matchup against St. Cloud. Earlier this season the Gophers blanked the Huskies 4-0 and 3-0.
- 1/1 Wisconsin at Bemidji State: The top-ranked Badgers travel to Bemidji where the team looks to extend its series lead over the Beavers. Wisconsin owns a 76-6-4 all-time record against Bemidji State.