Updates Around The League
- Raking in National Accolades: Wisconsin's Daryl Watts was named the NCAA First Star of the Week after posting an eight-point weekend in the Badgers' series against St. Cloud State. The junior forward potted a goal and seven assists to earn WCHA weekly accolades and her second national Star of the Week nod. Four other league players have been recognized as weekly stars for a total of seven selections.
- WCHA in the Top 10: Wisconsin remains No. 1 in both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls after a resounding sweep of St. Cloud State (5-0, 11-1). Minnesota slides to No. 4 in the USCHO and No. 3 in the USAT/USAH poll due to a split series with Minnesota Duluth who continues to check in at No. 9 in both rankings. The Gophers earned a 5-0 victory on Friday and then dropped a 2-0 decision to the Bulldogs on Saturday. Ohio State retains the No. 5 spot in both polls after a weekend series with the receiving-votes Bemidji State Beavers in which the Buckeyes earned a 7-2 win on Friday and earned an extra league point in the shootout after a 2-2 draw in regulation on Saturday.
- Hats Off: Minnesota's Amy Potomak potted a natural hat trick on Jan. 31 in the first period against Minnesota Duluth to become the sixth league skater to score a trio of goals in a single game. The redshirt sophomore is the second WCHA player to complete her hat trick in a single period this season, the first being St. Cloud State's Brooke Kudirka who tallied three scores in the third period against Lindenwood on Nov. 29, 2019.
By the Numbers
- 94: Previous meetings for Bemidji State and Minnesota. The Beavers and Gophers will take to the ice this weekend for the 95th and 96th contests in an all-time series that dates back to Nov. 14, 1998.
- 80: Saves for Minnesota Duluth's Maddie Rooney in the series split with then-No. 2/2 Minnesota. The senior netminder whitewashed the Gophers on Saturday in the Bulldogs' 2-0 victory.
- 27: Straight wins for Wisconsin in the all-time series against Minnesota State. The Mavericks haven't toppled the Badgers since March 2, 2014.
- 26: Shots blocked by St. Cloud State in the Huskies weekend series against Wisconsin. The team tallied 14 blocks in Saturday game and 12 on Sunday.
- 20: Points for Minnesota State's Anna Wilgren this season on five goals and 15 assists. She is now one of two defenseman at MSU to record 20 points in a season all time.
- 11: Points for Ohio State's Jenn Gardiner. The freshman forward leads Buckeye newcomers after notching an assist in the weekend series with Bemidji State.
Up Next in the WCHA
- 1/1 Wisconsin at Minnesota State: The top-ranked Badgers travel to Mankato for a weekend series against the Mavericks who are coming off a non-conference sweep of Lindenwood.
- 5/5 Ohio State at 9/9 Minnesota Duluth: The Bulldogs host the Buckeyes in one of two Top-10 match ups across the country this weekend. The last time these two teams met Ohio State boasted a 3-1 victory and a shootout win after a 1-1 tie throughout regulation and both overtimes.
- 4/3 Minnesota at RV/RV Bemidji State: The Gophers hit the road to face the Beavers in Bemidji this weekend. Minnesota has dominated the all-time series record and holds a 78-9-7 edge over the Beavers.