Updates Around The League
- WCHA in the Top 10: Four WCHA teams landed in the top six of the latest USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. Preseason league favorite Wisconsin is No. 1. Minnesota checks in at No. 3 with defending WCHA Final Faceoff champion Ohio State at No. 4 and Minnesota Duluth at No. 6.
- Leading the Nation: WCHA skaters made a big mark on the NCAA leaderboards this past weekend. The league is currently home to the players with the most points per game, assists per game, points per game by a defenseman, power-play goals and save percentage. A WCHA team also sits at the helm of both the best Scoring Offense (Minnesota Duluth) and the best Scoring Defense (Minnesota) in the NCAA.
- Home-Ice Milestones: With Saturday's 4-0 victory over Ohio State, Minnesota claimed is 300th victory as a program while competing at Ridder Arena in Minneapolis. The Gophers now claim an all-time record of 300-50-22 in home contests at Ridder, a mark which dates back to the 2002-03 season.
- Wisconsin, St. Cloud State Enter the Fray: This weekend's slate of competition marks the beginning of the season for Wisconsin and St. Cloud State. Bemidji State will be the final WCHA team to hit the ice next weekend.
By the Numbers
- 1,108: Saves made by St. Cloud State's returning goaltender and senior captain Emma Polusny between the pipes in 2019-20, the most saves made by any netminder last season.
- 144: Career points for Ohio State's Emma Maltais, the most of any active Buckeye skater. The senior forward tallied two assists against Minnesota to add to her total.
- 19: Returning players on Bemidji State's roster heading into the Beavers' first game of the season, the most of any team in the league.
- 13: Goals scored by Minnesota State against St. Cloud State last season. The Mavericks look to build to that total in 2020-21 starting with this weekend's series.
- 10: Season-opening game undefeated streak for Wisconsin as the Badgers boat a 9-0-1 record for the first game of a new season.
- 2: Shutouts by NCAA netminders during week one of competition. Both goaltenders hail from the WCHA as Minnesota's Lauren Bench and Minnesota Duluth's Emma Söderburg blanked their opponents once during last weekend's series.
The Week Ahead
- (1/1) Wisconsin at (4/4) Ohio State: The Badgers open the 2020-21 season with a trip to Columbus where they'll take on the Buckeyes in a rematch of the 2020 Final Faceoff Championship contest. Ohio State faces the top-ranked foe after earning a series split against another Top 5 team of Minnesota.
- (3/3 Minnesota at (6/6) Minnesota Duluth: The Bulldogs host the Gophers after sweeping Minnesota State (5-0, 7-3) and scoring the most goals of any team in the nation. Minnesota looks to rally from their recent 2-1 loss to Ohio State in this weekend's series against another Top 10 foe.
- Minnesota State at St. Cloud State: The Mavericks and Huskies are both seeking their first wins of this season in this weekend's series. Minnesota State hopes to bounce back from being swept by Minnesota Duluth while St. Cloud State begins its season after a COVID-19 delay prevented play the weekend prior.