Updates Around The League
- WCHA in the Top 10: Four WCHA teams landed in the top six of both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls this week, with all four teams receiving the same ranking on both lists. Preseason league favorite Wisconsin is No. 1. Minnesota checks in at No. 3 with defending WCHA Final Faceoff champion Ohio State at No. 4. and Minnesota Duluth slotting in at No. 6.
- Leading the Nation: WCHA skaters made a big mark on the NCAA leaderboards this past weekend. The league is currently home to the players with the most points per game (Nicole LaMantia - WIsconsin), assists per game (LaMantia), points per game by a defenseman (LaMantia), points (Anna Klein, Minnesota Duluth), game-winning goals (Klein) and shutouts (Emma Söderberg, Minnesota Duluth). A WCHA team also sits at the helm of both the best scoring offense (Minnesota Duluth) and the best penalty kill (Minnesota, Ohio State, Wisconsin) in the NCAA.
- National Accolades: Lauren Bench was named the HCA's National Goaltender of the Month for her outstanding performance in November competition. Bench performed superbly in net for Minnesota during the month of November, leading Minnesota to a 3-1-0 record. The redshirt senior goaltender faced more shots (131) and made more saves (126) than any other netminder in the nation, tallying a .962 save percentage that ranks fourth-best in the NCAA. This is the first national honor for the WCHA in 2020-21. The last goaltender to earn the national accolade was Wisconsin's Kristen Campbell in 2019-20 for her September/October performance.
By the Numbers
- 145: Career points for Ohio State's Emma Maltais. The senior forward has recorded 50 gpals amd 95 assists during her time wearing the Buckeye sweater.
- 99: Contests in the all-time series between Minnesota and Minnesota State. Thursday's matchup will mark the centennial meeting between the two Great North teams.
- 50: Saves made by St. Cloud State's Emma Polusny during game two of the Huskies series against Minnesota Duluth, the most single-game stops of any WCHA netminder in 2020-21.
- 24: Goals in six games for Minnesota Duluth. The Bulldogs nation-best scoring offense unsurprisingly paces the NCAA in goals scored and goals per game.
- 19: Points for Bemidji State's Reece Hunt in her freshman campaign. The 2019-20 All-WCHA Rookie Team selection tallied seven goals and 12 assists as a newcomer last season.
- 3: Assists for Wisconsin's Nicole LaMantia during the Badger's 5-0 victory over Ohio State on Nov. 28. Her trio of helpers remains the most single-game assists in the NCAA so far this season.
The Week Ahead
- St. Cloud State at Bemidji State: The Beavers open their season by hosting the Huskies who are coming off being swept by then No. 6/7 Minnesota Duluth in a two-game series last weekend.
- (3/3) Minnesota vs Minnesota State: The Gophers and Mavericks meet this weekend in a home-and-home series that starts in Mankato on Thursday and moves to Minneapolis on Friday. Minnesota State looks to claim the program's first win over Minnesota since 2007.