Updates Around The League
- WCHA in the Top 10: Four WCHA teams landed in the top six of both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls this week. Wisconsin remains top-ranked on both lists while Minnesota moves up to take the second spot in both polls. Ohio State slots in at No. 4 on the USCHO poll while the Buckeyes move up to No. 3 in the USAT/USAH Poll, making it so that the Top 3 ranked teams in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Poll all hail from the WCHA. Minnesota Duluth is the league's final team in the Top 10, clocking in at No. 6 on both lists.
- Leading the Nation: WCHA skaters made a big mark on the NCAA leaderboards this past weekend. The league is currently home to the players with the most or tied for the most assists per game (Nicole LaMantia, Wisconsin), points per game by a defenseman (LaMantia), points (Anna Klein, Minnesota Duluth), goals (Klein), blocks (Anna Wilgren, Minnesota State) and shutouts (Emma Söderberg, Minnesota Duluth). A WCHA team also sits at the helm of the best penalty kill (Minnesota, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Bemidji State) in the NCAA.
By the Numbers
- 102: Meetings in the all-time series between Minnesota and Minnesota Duluth. The Gophers and Bulldogs battle on the ice for the 103rd and 104th time this weekend, with Minnesota leading the series 63-29-10.
- 89: Wins from Wisconsin over Minnesota State in the all-time series between the Badgers and the Mavericks. UW looks to earn the program's 90th win over the league foe when they return to competition for the first time in 35 days.
- 86: Saves in four games for Ohio State's Andrea Braendli. The Buckeyes netminder needs one more stop to reach the 1600-career-save milestone.
- 18: Of 19 power plays killed by St. Cloud State in 2020-21. The Huskies rank eighth in the nation on the penalty kill with a 94.7 kill percentage.
- 7: Points for Minnesota State freshman forward Jamie Nelson in her first eight games in a Mavericks sweater. Her four goals and three assists lead the team in scoring.
- 1: Goal in the first shootout of the season to earn Bemidji State the extra point in last Thursday's contest against Minnesota State. Defenseman Kara Werth scored the lone shootout goal for the Beavers.
Up Next in the WCHA
- Bemidji State at (4/3) Ohio State: The Beavers come off a SO win and a loss against Minnesota State as they head to Columbus to take on the top-five ranked Buckeyes. Ohio State takes to the ice for the first time since Nov. 28 when they split a series with top-ranked Wisconsin.
- (1/1) Wisconsin at Minnesota State: The Mavericks take on the Badgers for the first time since the two teams met on Feb. 8 of last season. Wisconsin seeks redemption after Minnesota State recorded a 3-1 upset over the nation's best team last time out.
- (6/6) Minnesota Duluth at (2/2) Minnesota: The Gophers and Bulldogs meet in Minneapolis for a top-10 match-up. Minnesota came away with the series sweep on Nov. 27-28, dropping Minnesota Duluth with decisions of 4-2 and 2-1.