Updates Around The League
- Border Battle to be Televised: The second game of Minnesota and Wisconsin's WCHA series on Saturday afternoon will air on Fox Sports Wisconsin in addition to streaming on BTN+. Tune it at 2:07 p.m. CT to watch the top-two teams go head-to-head.
- WCHA in the Top 10: Four WCHA teams landed in the top six of both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls this week. After a trio of wins against St. Cloud State, Minnesota takes over as the No. 1 team in the country on both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Polls. Wisconsin sits just behind the Gophers at No. 2, and Ohio State follows at No. 3, making this week the first time that both polls have an all-WCHA Top Three. Minnesota Duluth is the league's final team in the Top 10, checking in at No. 6 on both lists.
- Leading the Nation: WCHA skaters continue to fill the NCAA leaderboards in week eight. The league is currently home to the players with the most or tied for the most points (Anna Klein, Minnesota Duluth), goals (Klein), goals per game (Klein), points per game (Klein), blocks (Mak Langei, Bemidji State), game-winning goals (Grace Zumwinkle, Minnesota) and shutouts (Emma Söderberg, Minnesota Duluth; Kennedy Blair, Wisconsin; Lauren Bench, Minnesota). A WCHA team also sits at the helm of the best penalty kill (Ohio State) in the NCAA, the most blocks (Bemidji State), the most shots on goal (Minnesota State) as well as the best winning percentage (Minnesota, .889).
- Hats Off to Heise: Minnesota junior forward Taylor Heise's trio of goals against St. Cloud State on Sunday, Jan. 10 made her the first WCHA skater to record a hat trick in 2020-21. The Gophers winger joins three other players in the country as the only women to tally three goals in a single game this season.
By the Numbers
- 97: Meetings between Bemidji State and St. Cloud State. The Beavers lead the all-time series (48-40-9), but the win tally is tied (21-21-5) when St. Cloud State plays host.
- 50: Career assists for Minnesota's Taylor Heise. The junior forward recorded her 50th career helper in the Gophers 4-0 win over St. Cloud State on Jan. 10.
- 36: Blocked shots for Bemidji State's Mak Langei in just eight games. The Beavers blueliner leads the NCAA in shots blocked this season.
- 10: Consecutive Border Battles in which either Minnesota or Wisconsin has hit the ice as the top-ranked team in the country.
- 9: Game winning streak for Minnesota Duluth against Ohio State when the Bulldogs are playing on home ice.
- 7: Power-play goals in 12 games for Minnesota State. The Mavericks lead the league and rank ninth in the NCAA when it comes to converting on the man-advantage.
- 0: Goals given up on the power play for Ohio State. The Buckeyes have been 15-for-15 on the penalty kill this season, one of only two teams to have a perfect record while on suffering a man disadvantage.
Up Next in the WCHA
- (1/1) Minnesota at (2/2) Wisconsin: The Gophers and Badgers meet for a top-two showdown in Madison as the perenniel foes meet for the first Border Battle of the season. 2019-20 saw Wisconsin have the edge on Minnesota, coming away with a 2-1-1 record on the year.
- Bemidji State at St. Cloud State: The Beavers head to St. Cloud, Minn., to face the Huskies for the teams' third and fourth meeting of the season. Last time Bemidji State and St. Cloud State dropped the puck, the teams each went home with a series split after two consecutive games decided in overtime.
- (3/3) Ohio State at (6/6) Minnesota Duluth: The league's second top-ten match up of the weekend takes place in Duluth, Minn., as third-ranked Ohio State travels to challenge No. 6/6 Minnesota Duluth. The weekend series will be the first meeting between the Buckeyes and Bulldogs in 2020-21.