Updates Around The League
- WCHA in the Top 10: Four WCHA teams landed in the top six of the latest USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. After sweeping St. Cloud State this past weekend, Wisconsin remains in the No. 1 spot on both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. Minnesota sits just behind the Badgers at No. 2, and Ohio State follows at No. 4 in the USCHO poll and No. 3 in the USAT/USAH rankings. Minnesota Duluth is the league's final team in the Top 10, checking in at No. 6 on both lists.
- Leading the Nation: WCHA skaters continue to fill the NCAA leaderboards in week eight. The league is currently home to the players with the most or tied for the most goals (11-Daryl Watts, Wisconsin), points (21-Watts) goals per game (1.10-Watts), points per game (2.10-Watts), game-winning goals (three-Anna Klein, Minnesota Duluth; three-Grace Zumwinkle, Minnesota; three-Tatum Skaggs, Ohio State; three-Taylor Heise, Minnesota), blocks (50-Mak Langei, Bemidji State), and shots on goal (85-Emma Maltais, Ohio State). A WCHA team also sits at the top of the leaderboard for most blocked shots (260-Bemidji State) and shots on goal (569-Ohio State).
- Turn of the Century: Two WCHA skaters reached significant career milestones this past weekend as Ohio State's Emma Maltais recorded her 100th career assist on Jan. 29 against Minnesota and Minnesota Duluth's Gabbie Hughes hit the 100-point mark in her career with an assist on Jan. 30 in the Bulldogs 6-0 victory over St. Cloud State.
By the Numbers
- 381: Saves made by Bemidji State's Kerigan Dowhy in 2020-21. The Beavers netminder leads the league in stops, shots faced (410) and minutes played between the pipes (796:23).
- 50: Career assists for Minnesota's Emily Brown. The senior blueliner reached the half-century mark against Ohio State on Jan. 30.
- 7: Goals scored at home by Ohio State's Jenna Buglioni. The freshman is the best in the league at lighting the lamp when skating on her home ice.
- 6: Game goal streak for Wisconsin's Daryl Watts. The January Forward of the Month also leads the NCAA with 11 goals scored in 2020-21.
- 4: Goals scored by Minnesota State's Brittyn Fleming when the Mavericks are trailing. No other skater in the WCHA has been better at closing the gap when her team is behind.
- 3: Goals and one assists recorded by St. Cloud State's Taylor Lind in January. The sophomore forward led the Huskies in point production last month.
- .714: Faceoff percentage for Minnesota Duluth's McKenzie Hewett. The junior forward's percentage at the dot is the best in the league.
Up Next in the WCHA
- Minnesota State at St. Cloud State: The Huskies host the Mavericks for the second time this season. Last time the teams met on the ice, each squad left with a series split with St. Cloud State taking game one, 1-0 and Minnesota State claiming game two, 4-2.
- (1/1) Wisconsin at (2/2) Minnesota: The Badgers and Gophers meet in a top-two match-up in Minneapolis as Wisconsin looks to retain their recent edge in the series. Wisconsin is 8-3-1 in the last 12 meetings with its Border-Battle foe.